649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How To: Install HID’s into Halo Projectors (From Start to Finish) with a Relay

****Note: Please read the “How-To:â€

·
Registered
188 Posts
Very nice detailed directions.

One thing. I noticed one discrepancy in the directions. The return lead for the HID should actually be facing down...not upwards. After alot of testing by some members over on cobaltss.net, the consensus seems to be that the return faces down so as to not interfere/be in the path of the light output.

Some have partially attributed it to being a cause of the black holes, and general focus problems of the HID/projectors everyone has.

·
Banned
3,377 Posts
As far as modifying the housing, I noticed that there's already a slit that lets you slide the return lead in so I'm going to try using the one that's already there. Anyways, I have an addition on this howto for the passenger side ballast and a little change to make the hood fit tighter...

I drilled a hole through the metal on the car, if you look there are little indentations on your car where my screw is mounted in there, drilled the hole slightly smaller than the hole on the bracket so you can thread the screw because it'll be a PITA to but the nut in. They're 10MM bolts that you will need, which are the ones included in the Vision Bulbs kit.

This might not be a problem for you, but I gave this screw 4 turns (there's one on each side of the engine compartment) so the hood would sit a little tighter on the weather stripping for the headlights.

·
Registered
188 Posts
denlou said:
As far as modifying the housing, I noticed that there's already a slit that lets you slide the return lead in so I'm going to try using the one that's already there. Anyways, I have an addition on this howto for the passenger side ballast and a little change to make the hood fit tighter...

I drilled a hole through the metal on the car, if you look there are little indentations on your car where my screw is mounted in there, drilled the hole slightly smaller than the hole on the bracket so you can thread the screw because it'll be a PITA to but the nut in. They're 10MM bolts that you will need, which are the ones included in the Vision Bulbs kit.

This might not be a problem for you, but I gave this screw 4 turns (there's one on each side of the engine compartment) so the hood would sit a little tighter on the weather stripping for the headlights.
Using the slot on the side is NOT a good idea. It is NOT there to be used as a return lead for an HID. Your bulbs will be in sideways and you will have a very shitty beam

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jlmd said:
Very nice detailed directions.

One thing. I noticed one discrepancy in the directions. The return lead for the HID should actually be facing down...not upwards. After alot of testing by some members over on cobaltss.net, the consensus seems to be that the return faces down so as to not interfere/be in the path of the light output.

Some have partially attributed it to being a cause of the black holes, and general focus problems of the HID/projectors everyone has.
I tried both ways - with the return lead DOWN I could not even see 50 ft in front of me - but to each their own. Anomolous on css.net put his facing up - there is a slight line in the output on the ground, but the light that is in the distance is not affected by this. You guys can do it whatever way you want, but mine is facing up and I have no more "black holes" like before.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, with regards to drilling through the car - it promotes rust, so I refrained from drilling extra holes in the frame. and my hood fights tight everywhere

·
Original Member
904 Posts
what happend to the How-to? its gone....

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Considering there are several different variants of the projectors now, the specifics are usually on a case by case basis. The procedure for setting up the 1st gens differ from the 2nd.

If you guys have any questions, feel free to ask.

·
Registered
84 Posts
i got my 1st gen headlight two days ago , and i love them , and i am waiting for my HID kit to arrive , and i will try to post a how to if i success to install it .
Installing the projection was cake , and i used the stock harness .
The question is when i receive my HID kit , i read that i will need to drill a hole to fit the hids in the halo , is thats true? and where to do that?
can someone show me a picture of that hole if its possible?
my secound question is i also getting a relay harness with the kit , will i have to do the same modification i made on the original harness to use them ??
Thanks allot hope this will be as easy as installing the headlights :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts