Tools Needed:

-Flathead screwdriver (large and small)
-Phillips screwdriver (large and small)
-7mm socket
-10mm socket
-Neons/LED’s
-Mounting hardware/adhesive tape
-Wire cutters/strippers
-Add-A-Circuit (Mini fuse) (Can be purchased from any atuo store such as Auto-Zone, and possibly Canadian Tire or Lodco. I don't know for sure since I don't live anywhere near one =])
-(optional) extra wire

Estimated time to install: 1-2 hours

This how-to will tell you how to install neon lights and/or LED lights inside your car. I highly recommend this company for these lights, they were fast, relatively inexpensive, and they chain off of each other, which makes it very easy to wire up.

Street FX lights

I took off all the accent pieces in order to gain access to the panels without any resistance from them. It also was nessesary for the HVAC mod that I was going to do.

The first step is to undo the clip on the lower panel below the steering wheel just in the right corner. Taking this clip off will make it much easier to take off the accent pieces that surround the stereo/HVAC/heated seats controls.

Once this clip is out, you can then pry the accent piece off. It helps to take a smaller flathead screwdriver and pry out from the top. There are two clips that hold this piece in, and depending on where or not you have controls in this piece, you may have to disconnect any wires holding it in after you pull it out. The clips come out much easier if you can push down on the clip to compress it.

Now on to the other side. The long accent piece is held in by four clips. Take it out in the same fashion, starting from the right and working your way to the left. Again, compressing the clips makes life easier and prevents the clips from breaking. Also, open the glove compartment so you can pull from the bottom.

Now that these pieces are off, you can start to pry off the faceplate for the center of the console. Start from the bottom right and work your way up, making sure that you keep the sides even in respects to removing clips (i.e. bottom right, then bottom left, middle right, then middle left, etc.). If your car has heated seats or passenger side airbag sensors, you will need to disconnect the connectors from the back of the faceplate before removing it from the car.

This is what it should look like after all the faceplates have been removed.

Now remove the plastic in the center consol that ‘holds’ your change. Do this by starting where the gearshift plastic piece meets the e-brake piece, and pull upwards on both sides, dislodging clips as you go.

Once this piece is off, you will need to remove the piece that covers the gearshift. Start from the back and again pull the plastic up, dislodging clips as you go. You will need to disconnect the two 12v plugs as you go, and then unclip the shift boot (manual) from its position and pull it up over the knob just enough to get it out of the way. You should now be able to pull off this piece. I installed my switch in the piece, so having it off was very helpful.

You can now easily pull the side pieces off the consol by the driver’s and passenger’s feet. The left side cover contains a real nice ground screw, and the right side contains the fuse box for plugging in your lights. The left side has five clips to undo in the same fashion as above, while the right has three and hinges kinda at the top.

Now you can mount your lights where you want them. For mine, I put them underneath the driver’s side instrument panel and under the glove box. I also installed three in the trunk.

Once mounted, run the red wire from the light bar to the fuse panel, while running the black wire towards the ground screw. Having looped solder-less connectors will make this easier.

If your lights do not plug into each other like mine, you’ll need to run them all to the same location. Hook up the red wire to one side of your switch. The other side of the switch can then be wired to your Add-A-Circuit. I plugged mine into slot 21 of the fuse box.

When wiring up your lights, make sure to always wrap your connections with electrical or friction tape. This will keep them together and also prevent any sort of shorting due to accidental contact.

I drilled out a hole for my switch in the center piece while I had my plastics out of the car. I recommend making a pilot hole and then using the right size drill to do this. Also, drill from the front to the back. This will prevent splintering of the plastic from the drill piercing the good side. The finished product will look something like this. Now you can put your car back together =]

The trunk lights are more of the same, with a little bit of different ways of running the wires. The switch also controls the trunk light as well. For the one in the trunk lid, I cut out some of the carpeting so that when I replaced it, it fit snugly against the LED bar. from there I ran the wire through the center of the lid, and then joined it with the electrical wires already coming off the lid into the trunk.

For the two that were in the trunk, I ran the lid one into the left sde, the left side into the right, and the right into the switch. When wiring, cut the two wires that run to the trunk light. Splice the black wire from your light into the black wire side of the trunk light wires. For the red wire of you led, connect it and the red wire from the actual trunk light to one side of the switch. Connect the other side of the switch to the side of the red wire that was originally feeding the trunk light. This may seem complicated, but it's just adding a component to a basic circuit. Check the pictures as it shows close ups of how this is done.

Hope this helps people. I will be modding my HVAC controls soon so I’ll post a how-to when I do.

Okay, so I took some pictures tonight, and thought I would add in some of my red dome lights, and of my HVAC mod

Just the dome lights

HVAC mod (notice the different colored HVAC unit

Finally, the leds. Both the car and trunk. Enjoy!

Sorry about the bluriness. I had to over-expose the pictures to make them come out so it got a little blurry.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Make sure you take pictures at night - On a side note. You may want to explain why you took all of that stuff out just to do neons under the dash. There really wasn't any explanation as to why all those pieces were taken off.

Also, the trunk lights were kinda thrown in there - what did you do there exactly. Finally, where did you get the "add-a-circuit"

·
Premium Member
10,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
autozone. any auto store will prob have it in there fuse section, but you can also buy it online

pics to come when it gets dark out

·
Banned
3,377 Posts
Canadian Tire also stocks them for us Canucks. They're like $15/each though...

·
Registered
298 Posts
Great info.. was going to do that in a few weeks, but at least that saves me from having to guess how to pull out which panels, as I think all the ones you pulled out I will have out as well. Gonna be LED's EVERYWHERE! :D

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Very nice write up. I'm going to do my whole car in blue. I just have to figure out how to change the gauges. Good job on the finished product. It would be cool to see that in person.

·
Premium Member
10,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks. yeah it looks really nice up close. next up is to change the trim kit to nickel to offset all the red haha

·
Registered
830 Posts
Note to all us canucks!!! Canadian tire carries this add-a-circuit for $15 :) just picked mine up :) now I'm waiting for the led tubes to come in!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Meh I'm not that smart :p and I'm ordering a custom gauge faceplate from black cats :D white with blue lighting, plus I'm probably going to add the led kit for another $40 :D I have to call tomorrow to make sure that I don't get SS or Cobalt on them. I want to see if they'll custom put Tank or Pontiac or G5 on it :)

·
Registered
830 Posts
For sure. I got a 4pc led interior kit ... 18 leds in each bar ... 4 bars = shit load of leds *drools* ... it's got a controller box with a whole wack load of different settings to put them on, so I'm quite excited about that. As for the gauge face, I'll have to call them tomorrow and make sure everything is 100% perfect. Black cats now has a canadian site which means no customs :) yay for that!!!

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
tank what colors are you doing for your led's?

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
yeah, i have blue neons inside of my car and getting rid of them and going with red led's hopefully my buddy and i will get them in this weekend

1 - 20 of 52 Posts