G5 Club banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Resident Troll
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"How-To: minimize trunk rattles without spending a fortune"

Tools Need: foam weatherstripping (pictured below)

Ease of Install: (Easy)

Estimated time to install: less than 5 minutes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

there are two hard rubber bumpers on the trunk lid that rest on the plastic molding right inside of the trunk.

go out and buy some weatherstripping for household use.

cut lengths and place them on the rubber bumpers on the trunk lid

this is where they seat

it doesnt make the trunk any harder to close and it provides a cushon between the hard trunk lid bumpers and the plastic.

i also found that the rear deck cover bounces up and down too so i took some foam and stuck it under the center child seat anchor. its kinda a ghetto fix but it works and is not visible. it is tucked under the plastic where it touches the metal deck to keep it from clicking on the metal.

the foam goes down and then under towards the front of the car.

here is it closed, invisible

hoped this helped. try this before investing in expensive dynomat to find that, thats not the problem.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Good stuff! Also recommend putting some foam up in the DOMElight fixture incase people with subs noticed.. I know I rattled mine loose and now it just creates an annoying rattle.. also if you have a window mounted raydar detector put just at the part that touches the window helps too :twisted:

--edited head for DOME

·
Resident Troll
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what do you mean in regards to the headlights

·
Resident Troll
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh you mean the one in the headliner? that makes more sense

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
good idea maybe ill try stuffing something in the rear deck covers and i will also look into a little bit of weather stripping for the trunk lid

·
Resident Troll
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i only did the center anchor and its working out fine. dont worry about the other 2

·
Resident Troll
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rob: my dome light just started to rattle and idk what part is rattling exactly, could you specify where you said to stick foam please

·
Resident Troll
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it doesnt hod the trunk up at all, it compresses. it just provides a cushon opposed to the hard rubber stoppers

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
sure just give me a few and I'll make sure to get pics of it.. i just shoved some foam all around from the plastic clear piece to the plastic roof piece just carefully shoved some foam in there pushed it up with an exacto knife... it seems to do the trick..

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
what i did was i bought some 2 way tape canadian tire that is kinda padded and put that between the carpet on the trunk lid and the metal i find it makes a big difference. when i have my sub pounding at 90% volume on a heavy bass song my trunk still rattles. but for normal listening you can barley tell i have a sub in my trunk.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
fusiongt said:
what i did was i bought some 2 way tape canadian tire that is kinda padded and put that between the carpet on the trunk lid and the metal i find it makes a big difference. when i have my sub pounding at 90% volume on a heavy bass song my trunk still rattles. but for normal listening you can barley tell i have a sub in my trunk.
You want to see a trunk rattle or how to make your spoiler danse or how to make your back window shake? check out my post in the Electronics forum :p. http://clubg5.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=343 I've got some YouTUBE vids of my back window ratteling and my spoiler shaking haha.

·
Registered
255 Posts
K well my door handles rattle on the outside. And so far NO ONE has been able to help.
Also? The tabs in the backseat that you're telling us to put foam under? Yeah. Mine don't just rattle. They bounce and bounce and eventually bounce so hard they just stay open. :shock:
I don't want to put foam in there if it's just going to hop open and expose the ghetto fix up :?
HELP!

·
PSD=PostSaturnDepression
826 Posts
Take out your 2 - 12's. :p

·
Premium Member
12,861 Posts
I've heard of some people gluing them shut. Not a good idea if you ever want to put a baby seat in the back of your car...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts