G5 Club banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My story first just to see if you are in the same boat at i was. I bought some cobalt wheels for my g5 had tires mounted. Put them on the car was driving and i never thought about it untill the TPMS light came on and I never had Sensors put in my new wheels. The sensor were still on my old wheels. So if your in the boat i am. Here's what i did to get around it without paying 50$ a peice to have new sensors put in the wheels.

WARNING!!!! This How-to contains pressurinzing an item not supposed to be pressurized. Be-carful, Also i did a lot of the work at work, and a lot of people thought i was building a bomb. so be aware. haha

Ease of Project: easy

Time: Took me a couple days just to let stuff sit and dry be paitient

Tools Needed:

1. Valve stem puller

2. Pipe Wrench

3. Saw (i used a ban-saw at work for a perfect straight cut)

4. Small TORX

5. Drill with 1/2" Bit (i think cant remeber which bit i used) pretty sure

6. Bicycle Pump

Supply's Your Will Need:

1. 4x2" PVC Pipe (non-pressure pipe is what i got)

2. 4" End Cap

3. 4" Fitted Screw-In Adapter

4. 4" Screw in Cap, to screw into #3

5. PVC Cement handi-pack(comes with primer and cement)

6. Teflon Sealant Tape

7. Four TMPS Valve Stems (NAPA Part# 92-0145)

Total Cost

Home Depot : 27.57
Napa(after my dads discount and the stems were on sale) 11.00

Total : 38.57 compared to 200 for new sensors.

On to the work. No Pictures untill the end.

1. Cut 4" PVC pipe to desired length. I cut mine about 10"

2. Sand edges, get all the burs out.

3. Prime pipe, and end cap, and also the screw-in fitting

4. Cement the same as above, and Push on the end cap and the fitting, after you slid it all the way on try to turn it 90 degrees which i couldnt. Just gives it a better seal. Let it dry for a couple days just to be safe.

5. Next is Drilling 4 holes in the top of the Screw on cap. I do beilve they are 1/2 inch holes. Drill 4 holes one on each side of the Square. and Get all the Burs out

6. Putting new valve stems in the cap, You really need a valve stem puller or your just going to damage your new stems. make sure you turn your valve stem so the sensor will go on the right way, cuz its hard to turn it when its installed.

7. Hopfully you already got your old tires off cuz you'll need your sensors which are located on your valve stems. You'll need a small torq bit to take them off.

8. Next is installing your sensors on your valve stems. Your new valve stems should have came with new screws, the stems are not threaded so you will thread it yourself with the new screw, so just put the sensors on all 4 stems.

9. Teflon tape the crap out the end screw cap so it wont leak

10. Screw cap on as tight and as far as it will go. Pipe wrench works really nice!

11. Pump up your PVC pipe and check for leaks, shouldnt have any if you were paitient and did it right.lol

12. I pumped it up to 30PSI

13. SYNC the sensors to the car. Put keys into igntion turn to acc, Press unlock and lock at the same time on your remote. Horn will sound 2 times

14. the car starts with the LF, RF, LR, RR as you let air out the horn will beep a bunch of times syncing the sensors to your car. This is in your owners manual, so follow that

15. Pop your trunk and slip it next to your spare tire. and NO MORE LIGHT your all set to go!

16. Your just outsmarted your car computer. Good thing computers dont have common sence or this would not work. haha..

Now for the end result pics.

Everything Cemented Together

Valve stems installed on the screw cap

Pictures of Sensors installed on the valve stems

Screwing on the cap

Your bombs ready for lift off.. haha

Adding air, I do not suggest useing an air compressor due to the amount of air will go into it. Could blow up. Go slow with a bike pump with a guage

Before SNYC the sensors

AFter :)

Aviously the sensors arnt accurate cuz all the pressure should be exactly the same since there all under the same pressure.

In the trunk. Fits perfect

Who would ever KNOW?
:D

I hope your dont get pulled over, and while the cops searching your car for drugs finds this and wonders what it is.haha.. Good luck.

I hope this how-to is useful, it worked for me and its nice now i can run any wheels and tires i want, without worrying about the sensors,

Good for people who run 2 sets of wheels, winter wheels and tires and ur stockers.

Shit Delete one of these sorry

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
this is smart... really smart .. make a smaller unit tho. less air needed smaller space needed to store.

paten it..
sell it.

i would sell this thur skdecals.ca altho not a decal .. id still sell this!

·
Banned
1,781 Posts
or just take them out of ur old wheels and install in ur new wheels which is $0 lol

·
Banned
1,781 Posts
whats this plug into to work correctly though. or does it just have to be in the car period? i hope i dont run into an issue like this when i get my vehicle inspected here soon

·
Registered
807 Posts
whoa this is awesome!

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Yeah... I think I would have just transferred the sensors over to the wheels I was currently running. The thought of handling or being around that PVC pipe under pressure scares me. I would not want that in my hands, around my face or even in my car like that.
Although a good idea scientifically.
Why not simply drill 3 more somewhat evenly spaced holes in that unused do-nut spare you are riding around for free and install them there and be safe about it. If you don't want to mod your oem stuff. Buy a new (do-nut) at a junk yard to modify. As plentiful and as worthless as they are..they will almost give you two more!
Leaves you with 2 choices. Fill spare to normal, higher than street tire pressure.. what 60-65 psi? DIC will read high pressure, but you will always know your spare tire pressure and should satisfy requirements to computer of having them installed. Or take a chance and run 30-35 psi in your spare, that apparently you and most of us... never use.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I considered doing this, but my gf likes to have her tpms in at least half of the year. If i ever bought a new car I would probably do this though, cool idea. Except I dunno about the PVC pipe, did you just guess, or did you do some kind of rough calculation to see if it could handle the stress?

And yes, if you could make this affordable (and safe) i'm sure you could make a business ouf of it!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Wow. And the dumbest idea on the internet goes to .......

Someone with the power might want to remove this from the how to section.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah... I think I would have just transferred the sensors over to the wheels I was currently running. The thought of handling or being around that PVC pipe under pressure scares me. I would not want that in my hands, around my face or even in my car like that.
Although a good idea scientifically.
Why not simply drill 3 more somewhat evenly spaced holes in that unused do-nut spare you are riding around for free and install them there and be safe about it. If you don't want to mod your oem stuff. Buy a new (do-nut) at a junk yard to modify. As plentiful and as worthless as they are..they will almost give you two more!
Leaves you with 2 choices. Fill spare to normal, higher than street tire pressure.. what 60-65 psi? DIC will read high pressure, but you will always know your spare tire pressure and should satisfy requirements to computer of having them installed. Or take a chance and run 30-35 psi in your spare, that apparently you and most of us... never use.

I was going to use my donut, but unfortunitly very hard to dismount a donut tire without breaking the bead, so i would of had to order a band new donut tire just to do that...

Guys idk if you know this but PVC pressure pipe can hold 330 PSI. compare that to 30PSI. I've seen people make air compressors out of PVC. Think of everything that hold pressure. Pop cans, Plastic bottles, any kind of asrosol cans.

So all and all. 30PSI is absouly nothing. The only reason i put a warning on this was b/c some stupid kid would do this and not take his time, not let the cement harden, and use a air compresor to fill it up and blow it up b/c he put 200 PSI.

·
Premium Member
12,863 Posts
This is awesome! Not something that I would do, but I applaud you for your problem solving skills and ingenuity. One suggestion I have is that you might have better results with the paste style teflon. In my experience with plastic fittings, the paste works much better than the tape.

I have one question. When doing the TPMS sensor learn, I thought that the computer would know which sensor is in each tire because of the pressure drop in that one sensor that is being learned. This setup would cause all four sensors to drop in pressure. Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is awesome! Not something that I would do, but I applaud you for your problem solving skills and ingenuity. One suggestion I have is that you might have better results with the paste style teflon. In my experience with plastic fittings, the paste works much better than the tape.

I have one question. When doing the TPMS sensor learn, I thought that the computer would know which sensor is in each tire because of the pressure drop in that one sensor that is being learned. This setup would cause all four sensors to drop in pressure. Am I missing something here?

No leaks so far, but if it does ill have to get some paste! as for your question you are right when the pressure is dropped it causes all 4 sensor to loose pressure. When i learned the sensors I let out the air in 1 valve stem and they ALL Learned within about a second. My horn beeped about 4 times in a second. I was unsure if it learned all of them. But it did.

·
2+2= <*)))><
12,521 Posts
Guys idk if you know this but PVC pressure pipe can hold 330 PSI. compare that to 30PSI. I've seen people make air compressors out of PVC. Think of everything that hold pressure. Pop cans, Plastic bottles, any kind of asrosol cans.

So all and all. 30PSI is absouly nothing.
I don't see how this is a valid argument since your first post clearly states that you aren't using pressure pipe...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't see how this is a valid argument since your first post clearly states that you aren't using pressure pipe...
4" non pressure pipe is thicker than pressure pipe
pressure pipe doesnt come in any size bigger than 2" i do beilve.

So i dont see why they mark it "not for pressure"

·
Registered
2,283 Posts

Excellant question! That is true,, but if he started with 35-40 psi in his canister, he could drop or add 2-3 psi to EACH sensor in his canister as his in car computer "goes around his car" in the re-learn mode.
When you initiate the re-learn mode and the car starts to flash the left front, drop 2-3 psi in the canister until the car recognizes it. When the horn beeps and goes to the right front, drop (or add) another 2-3 psi in another of your sensors and that would be recognized.... and so on.

Back to my original post. If the do-nut spare is a problem, ANY tubeless tire/rim will work. A 6 in - 8 in mini bike wheel or small front riding lawn mower wheel would work. The smallest combo that all 4 sensors would fit, will work.

I like THIS kinda stuff a LOT better than... "look,,, I painted my tailpipe orange with purple polka dots."

·
I can build it.
5,443 Posts
I was going to use my donut, but unfortunitly very hard to dismount a donut tire without breaking the bead, so i would of had to order a band new donut tire just to do that...

So all and all. 30PSI is absouly nothing. The only reason i put a warning on this was b/c some stupid kid would do this and not take his time, not let the cement harden, and use a air compresor to fill it up and blow it up b/c he put 200 PSI.
yea I was going to say schedule 40 pvc will laugh at 30psi (I use to be really into pneumatic cannons when I was younger so I know pvc limits lol), you made a solid innovation thats for sure.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts