G5 Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tools you need:
10mm socket with a ratchet and 2" extension, blue painters tape (1" preferred), newspaper, rubbing alcohol, paper towels, color matching spray paint from GM, Dupli-Color Clear Acrylic, Your favorite alcoholic beverage and a partner to help you decide how you want to place the tape for painting.

Ease of Install: Moderate

Estimated time: 4-8 hours

The best time to do this project would be on a weekend when you have plenty of time to allow the paint to dry properly.

First of all, pick your style. Check out the pics in this thread on CSS to see everybody else's ideas.

Next, you need to clean both headlights throughly with the rubbing alcohol and paper towels. Then position the painters tape to fit your style. Just make sure you have the tape low enough, because you don't want to make the eyelids too thin.

Alright, so you're already frustrated with the first headlight. To save some time, get a piece of paper and trace the very top of the tape. Before you remove the piece of paper, on the outside edge of the headlight, trace the round design thats inside the lens. Look at the pics below to see what, I'm talking about. Once you're done tracing, cut out the pattern you made, and, with your partners help, Flip the pattern over, put it in place. Remember, go by that curve thingy, then put the tape in place.

Well, now that you're finished with the tape, remove the 2 bolts that hold the headlights in place. Be very careful when removing the headlights, making sure you don't scratch the bumper.

So, now you're ready to paint. If you're new to painting, like me, be sure to hold the spray can and apply very thin coats. It'll look like you're not putting enough at first, but it'll start looking right as you apply more coats. Give the paint at least 30 minutes to dry before you apply the next coat. Apply about 4 coats so light won't shine through the paint when the lights are on. When you're finished painting, and the paint is completely dry, apply 2 coats of clear acrylic, also giving 30 minutes between each coat.

Well, now you're finished, but you still want to give the paint plenty of time to dry. Its really Humid around here, so I let the paint dry over night in the garage, but it still wasn't enough because I got a couple of rough edges when it removed the tape, but they're not too noticeable. Trust me, being patient pays off in the end. When the paint is completely dry, very carefully peel off the tape, mount the headlights in place, and enjoy your completed project. Be sure to post some pics.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, definitely. That way everyone knows how to do it the right way through my mistakes. :p

Are you going to do yours?

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
I sure will! I'm looking for simple cheap mods... although all my mods are temporarily on hold no madder how inexpensive because of some money issues I'm having. I think I'll tint my tail lights/rear corner markers and at the same time I'll work with throwing some eyelids on my headlights... I do plan on getting the halos w/HIDs... that could change tho because so people have them that I may decide to just take apart my headlights and paint them black to match my Silver/Black idea I'm doing right now.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Painting the inside of the headlights black is the next thing to do on my list, but I prolly won't be able to do that in a few weeks, because money is tight for me too. As far as projectors, I'm most likely going to go with retrofits, because the ebay halos are too common.

·
Super Moderator
1,959 Posts
One thing I learned painting rooms in my house, you don't wait until the paint is dry before pulling the tape off. You'll get the paint drying as a layer covering the tape/surface area. Wait a few minutes -- you can do most of the clean up here -- then steadily, smoothly pull the tape away and at a sharp angle. The paint is still wet enough to 'let go' of the tape/surface joint, and the sharp angle helps asure a clean edge, but dry enough/tacky to hold on to it's applied surfaces. Set aside to completely dry. Portable heater nearby helps speed things up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts