G5 Club banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tools Needed: See Picture Below + Paint in the appropriate colour

Ease of Completion: Moderate - Hard (Be confident in your skills)

Time to install: To ensure paint drys and sealant cures 48hrs is recommended. To separate the housing about 1 hr.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For Starters You must either:
1.Take the lights out of the car, or
2.Purchase a second set of lights...
Method number 2 is probably the preferred method but may cost a little extra, reason i got a second pair is i may change my mind, and i needed the car...

Here are some simple shots of the lights it self show there is not much to disassemble it.. the hardest part is heating up the entire housing and separating the clear cover from the housing itself.. (This can be done with a heat gun, or hair dryer)

I first removed all the lights and connections as well as the rubber sealant for the main high/low beam.

Basic tools are needed, Hairdryer (my choice), some people use a heat gun, but i didn't want tooo much heat created, a 1/2
extension, a few small straight screw drivers, two sharp blades

You somehow have to heat up the entire Headlight assembly, i took the hairdryer and aimed it into the back of the high/low beam hole, and held it there for a while, even while i was prying apart the housing from the clear plastic i left the hair dyer in there so that it never hardened back.

after separating the Housings i started by separating the case itself from the chrome surroundings to be painted, there are 3hex screws on the back of the housing to be removed.

now with the hex screws out the reflector piece should come out.. and now you can remove the turn signal and side marker orange reflector..for the turn signal i used the 1/2 socket extension to push out the orange reflector.

for the side marker i just used the trusted old fingers (no special tool required) to pop out the lens

with everything disassembled it should look something like this

now that everything has been disassembled the hard work stars (yeah get ready for alot of beers and many headaches) tools for the job as well as i tired a dremel for a bit, but it heated up the sealant and then cause the dremel is going so fast it shot hot (i mean HOT) sealant everywhere....

Scrape as much of the sealant away as possible, it will probably get to the point where you cant take any more and just give up and say its enough, well it probably is, just use alot of silicon when sealing back up again...

you should try and get as much off as possible in order to ensure a correct seal when you put everything back together (no leaks)

i taped off all areas that i didn't want the paint to go, inside the turn signal and around the high/low beam.... with painters tape (less sticky, and does not leave any residue when removing after painting has dried)...

now when putting it all back together just reverse the disassembly procedure but remember you need to go get orange bulbs instead of the clear OEM bulbs... and when sealing black sealant is what I intended on using but my Anus of a father used my caulking with out asking and i had to use clear stuff from my work van (little hand held bottle of it, i used 5 in total to do it all, may seem like alot but there was a lot of waste, i was not about to shit my pants trying to squeeze out the last drop of caulking) for the finished result put back in car , and enjoy.

·
Registered
155 Posts
What type of paint did you use? brand, how much was needed, etc

·
Registered
341 Posts
if u want to exact color match your car paint go to the gm dealership and order a can in your color. if not "Krylon" worked well and looked nice when i did mine on my g5 (i used black). you will need no more than a half can of paint. i would also recommend lightly sanding the chrome part so the paint sticks that much better

·
Banned
4,998 Posts
Another thing you can do (if your careful) is put them in the oven, with the rack farthest away from the element, at like 200 for a few minutes, being careful not to crack them. *Not responsible for cracked lenses*

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
^^^ great information... this is something i would have to dedicate a whole day to?

If you want it done right. Even after you're done they need to be left apart for a little while to let the spraypaint cure, because if you put the lens back on too soon the gases released by the paint will cause your lenses to fog.

·
Registered
341 Posts
^^^ great information... this is something i would have to dedicate a whole day to?
it will take maybe 2 or 3 hours to get them apart, take all the old sealant off, sand them and put the 1st coat of paint on. putting the multiple coats (i did 3) of paint on and letting them dry will take the most time. I let them dry overnight before i sealed them back up and put them back on the car.

Another thing you can do (if your careful) is put them in the oven, with the rack farthest away from the element, at like 200 for a few minutes, being careful not to crack them. *Not responsible for cracked lenses*
i think mine were in for 20 mins and they came apart beautifully.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
seems like a long process, but its deff. worth it.. the way you guys have them done... great work guys once again... i wish i could send my lights out to you. lol

·
Registered
311 Posts
Paint doesn't tend to like to stick to chrome for a long period of time though, how are they still holding up?

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
And if you realy wanted to, you could always get a can of adhesion promoter.
Etching primer seems to work well also on plastic surfaces (Works perfectly on my grilles).

·
2+2= <*)))><
12,521 Posts
Just guessing here, but could you not take out the orange reflector or whatever it is on the turn signal before you painted it? Would prevent you from having to tape over the chrome inside if it had a pretty good seal.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
so what exactly does painting the headlights do....? does it make the light shine different or what? i know it sounds stupid, but yea

1 - 20 of 75 Posts