G5 Club banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, In this how-to i will at least try to explain how to recolor all of the interior lights. Radio, AC controls, Steering wheel controls, Window controls, and even instrument lights if you want to go that far. I dont have all the pictures right now so this will be a multi part tutorial, so please be patient!

We'll start with the radio and AC controls. Obviously to recolor them you'll need to take them both out. Here is how in case you don't know...

Start by removing carbon fiber (or silver depending on your year) trim above the glove box and to the right of the steering wheel.

The glove box side is fairly easy, open the glove box and grab the piece from the bottom. You might be able to get it off with a good yank, but don't pull REALLY hard. If a clip seems to be stuck you will need to pry the clip itself off.

To keep from breaking the stud off, pull on the trim till you can see the clip. You should preferably use a plastic crowbar used specifically for trim removal but if you are careful you can use a flathead screwdriver. When you can see the clip you will notice that it has a flat front surface, use your screwdriver or crowbar to grab that little lip and pry it off. To keep from scuffing your dash put a piece of cardboard between the dash and prying tool.

This is the next piece that needs to come off, to get at it you have to remove the black knee panel as I call it. Just grab it from the bottom on the right side and pop it out a little and let it hang

This piece can usually be pulled right off like so...

If it wont move pry this piece off the same way as you did the last, Here are where the clips are located...

Now to remove the center trim piece. It has some fairly skinny parts to it so be extremely careful to not crack it. You can usually pull it off just like this...

once that corner is free work to the left...

Then down around in a circle, be careful of the wires for the airbag indicator as well as the heated seats switches. Once the piece is entirely free unplug any wires going to it and set it aside.

The Airbag plug...

Here is where all the clips are for this piece...

(the rectangular shaped holes are the clip holes)

Now you need to remove the radio and AC controls. To start you will need a 7mm socket , wrench, etc...

Pull the 4 bolts out and it will slide right out.

Here are the wires on the back. Unplug them, be extremely careful with the antenna (far right) plug as you can easily rip it in half. Be sure to grab it by the black piece only.

The antenna plug... (note the black part...)

Set the radio aside and move onto the AC controls.

Once again use the 7mm socket to pull the 2 bolts. Unplug the wires and your done with removal!

here are the plug locations...

Now, to tear into the radio! Hooray!!

remove these 2 screws (note the 6 changer assembly in the back. I'm working on adding that to a stock single changer. Its a direct swap, same plug screw holes and all, but I just need to find out how to swap the clock button over to the load button... In the 6 changers the clock button is under menu, but enough of that, onward!)

and these 2 screws...

pull the faceplate off and you'll be looking at this.

remove all of the circled screws...

and use a screwdriver to pop the circuitry off. There are pieces of tape holding it in around the knobs, so you will need to apply a slight amount of force...

Now you have this...

Pull the rubber buttons off and set them aside. Now is when you need your red tape. What you need to do is cut out pieces the same size as the holes on the buttons. To do so I stretched out a piece on some plastic and cut a bunch to shape. You might also want to layer the tape to get a darker color. one layer will give a gay pastely color, 2 will give a deeper but still pinkish red, 3 will give the red you will see later, and 4 makes the buttons too dark to see. I storngly suggest 3 layers.

Look at the following picture. The big red square is where you want tape. Cut pieces that size for all the different sized buttons.

Now you will want to stack the pieces to however many layers you choose and then stick it where the red square is. keep moving till you get them all.

Now is the bad part, my camera corrupted a few pics so I will jsut have to explain how to do the knobs. both knobs are in thee partsa bottom, the knob itself and the button in the middle. use a screwdriver to pry the whole knob/button assembly off. You will see how the button is put together. There is a notch that holds the bottom piece to the button piece. Pry that apart and you will see the back side of the button. Add the red tape to the button piece and reassemble the button/knob assembly.

To get the lights around the cd load spot put red tape on top of the white plastic pieces. there is one on each side, you can see one here to the left of the metal piece...

There are also white plastic pieces that make the "ring" around the knob. Just put tape over the top like so and reinstall the white ring....

(pictures are back!)

After that you can reassemble the radio. It is not physically possible to change the display using any kind of tape, you just cant change green light to red light, though you can filter out all of the other colors in white except red out using red tape, which is what makes the rest of this mod possible :D

I will have the AC controls in the next post!

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
lol, I jsut did this today, but took no pictures. it is super easy

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
no red, to match
give me 5 and I will post up

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
Driverside armrest controls

info buttons right side of steering wheel

steering wheel controls

sorry bout the quality, dont know why it looks pink, lol. I guess my camera is messed. it matches.. honestly

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know man, its hard to get good pics. there really isn't room for a tripod for the exposure you really need. I have those buttons off to the right too now even though I'm an 07. I'm gonna hollow it out, paint the buttons, and install pushbutton switches inside it to make some factory looking, well ACTUALLY factory buttons for lights and stuff.

Did you use lens repair tape or something else?

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
i used red paint pen, lol. came out really good.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
cruisn said:
Finally! Something I might be able to find in my color. lol

I'm prolly going to have the only G5 with blue interior lights. I just need to find a cluster that matches. lol

Thanks for the write-up. I know I could really use this when I find the materials.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
As far as the Green display, you could make it red if you find the radio from the Saturn Ion and swap that out with the G5's.

Anyways, I'll also add for the step on taking the board out of the face plate, I suggest wrapping the tool being used to pry that off with tape before doing so to avoid damaging the circuitry.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
th0ughtless said:
cruisn said:

I'm prolly going to have the only G5 with blue interior lights. I just need to find a cluster that matches. lol

Thanks for the write-up. I know I could really use this when I find the materials.
Jeezus th0ughless.. i swear we're effing twins when it comes to our cars. same colour. same ideas... grr.. i want a blue interior... i got the 7 colour LEDs before you did! :p. I am getting the cobalt SS HP/HR spoiler. will get new rims, lip kit, and drop it a little. Then I may concider doing two black strips down the car (to match my silver/black theme). Paint job I probably wont do until after I get a house in 2009 lolz. I definitely will go for blue/black interior w/ ACTUAL leather.

Very nice tutorial though! I definitely will probably change my guages into blue.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Rob said:
th0ughtless said:
cruisn said:

Jeezus th0ughless.. i swear we're effing twins when it comes to our cars. same colour. same ideas... grr.. i want a blue interior... i got the 7 colour LEDs before you did! :p. I am getting the cobalt SS HP/HR spoiler. will get new rims, lip kit, and drop it a little. Then I may concider doing two black strips down the car (to match my silver/black theme). Paint job I probably wont do until after I get a house in 2009 lolz. I definitely will go for blue/black interior w/ ACTUAL leather.

Very nice tutorial though! I definitely will probably change my guages into blue.
dude, WTF?!?!? I was considering everything you're going to do, even the stripes on the side. LMAO
Do you put your left or right shoe on first?

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey, just wondering where you got the red tape from?

·
I can build it.
5,443 Posts
whiteL61 said:
hey, just wondering where you got the red tape from?
make your own dude buy clear printable sticker paper and use a program like paint fill the canvas with your choice of color and print and there ya go!

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
This little mod was a lot more frustrating than I initially anticipated. I went into it thinking, "Hey, I'll just run to Wal Mart & pick up some red tape, come back home & take apart my dash, & apply the tape. Easy... short..." wrong. I didn't have a problem taking apart my dash (I've done it many times before) or taking apart the head unit. Except when I went back outside to plug in the radio & see how it looked, I found uneven coverage on some buttons & around the ring for the EQ button/tuning knob. I'll have to finish tomorrow. :-/

PS.
When I put it all back together, the knobs were harder to turn.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I did a similar project on my 92 Grand Prix back in the day. I used theatrical lighting gels. You can get scraps from most theaters (not movie theaters) and the scraps are usually big enough to cut out the pieces you need. This method can be a little time consuming, but it won't fade and since the gels are meant for 750W+ theater lights, heat is never a problem. Also, you can usually use subtractive color mixing to get a near-white color, and then you just add another layer of whatever color you want...it sacrifices brightness, though.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I did all of mine yesterday in my 2009. The unfortunate part is that the 2009 radio knobs seem to be different on my model. They are actually soldered to the board and I didn't see any way to get them off other than break them off.

The radio did take me quite a bit longer than I wanted and as someone else mentioned, I had to take the radio apart a few times to fix mistakes because I am very picky.

I also did the traction control and fog lamp switches, mirror switch, power window and power door lock switches.

Everything is pretty much ok except for the door lock switches. No matter how many times I did them the color wasn't as intense as the rest of the switches. I thought maybe I made a mistake, but I redid them a few times and they were still the same.

It would be nice to see if anyone else does this to a 2009 and what happens with their radio and lock switches.

My radio is the 2009 with the USB port btw.

·
Registered
393 Posts
So what would you guys say the best way to do this is? Red tape, paint pen, or what.

If tape what kind of tape?

I plan on doing this sometime this week and want it to look sweet.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts