G5 Club banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Originally posted by farfrmnormal:

Items you will need:

- WD40 or Goo Gone ( used WD40 because I wasn't sure what the additives were in Goo Gone)
- Dental Floss
- hair dryer
- Wax

Steps:

1. Heat the badge with the hair dryer

2. Immediately after heating the badge run the dental floss behind the badge to loosen the sticky tape from behind. Ensure you are running behind the sticky tape and not in front where it attaches to the badge.

3. Repeat Steps 1 & 2 as needed to fully remove the badges

4. Once the badges are gone use WD40 or Goo gone to get rid of the sticky stuff.

5. Wash the car and wax the area where the badges were to ensure that previously unprotected area is protected.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
for the dealer vinyl i just poured some hot water on it and pealed it off

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I'm going to rebadge my car. I'm adding GT where the SS locations are on the Cobalt side doors and removing Pontiac from the rear and sliding G5 over.

Do I have to buy a new G5 emblem or can I heat up the stock one, remove it, and replace it. Will it still stick correctly? Even if I can do that, would it just worth the investment to buy a new one so It will stay in place better?

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
BigEMU1 said:
I'm going to rebadge my car. I'm adding GT where the SS locations are on the Cobalt side doors and removing Pontiac from the rear and sliding G5 over.

Do I have to buy a new G5 emblem or can I heat up the stock one, remove it, and replace it. Will it still stick correctly? Even if I can do that, would it just worth the investment to buy a new one so It will stay in place better?
You can remove the old material and use 3M Double Sided automotive trim tape (You can find this at Autozone or Canadian tire).

·
So Delicious !
5,271 Posts
BigEMU1 said:
The dealership emblems come with preapplied addhesive though, right?
Yes they do and they are sooooo cheap.........
why buy tape and waste time........
my time is valuable.....
lol

I guess it all comes down to......
more time than money.... or.....
more money than time........

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Cherry GT said:
BigEMU1 said:
The dealership emblems come with preapplied addhesive though, right?
Yes they do and they are sooooo cheap.........
why buy tape and waste time........
my time is valuable.....
lol

I guess it all comes down to......
more time than money.... or.....
more money than time........
Depends on who you get the badge off of.

When looking through my repair estimates for my G5, the front emblem cost $40.

·
Registered
17,069 Posts
you could do it kind of the same way i do it - i use a really long extension cord and plug it in in the house. you should be able to run an extension cord to your apartment, don't you think?
I'm up on the third floor. :lol:
This'll be... interesting.

·
Super Moderator
12,861 Posts
Be sure to wash the area surrounding the badges before starting. Otherwise, you might end up catching some dirt with your dental floss and you could leave some fine scratch marks on the paint.

·
falkor!!!
23,478 Posts
I'm up on the third floor. :lol:
This'll be... interesting.
so, each floor is about what? 10 feet high? and being that your window is in the middle of the third floor, it shouldn't be more than 25-30 feet up, right? then you just need another 5-10 feet to reach a plug plus whatever it takes to get to the car. I'd say that 100 foot extension cord should do the trick - 50 if your car is parked close enough to the building. of course, i guess that would mean that you'd have to have an extension cord that long :)

Be sure to wash the area surrounding the badges before starting. Otherwise, you might end up catching some dirt with your dental floss and you could leave some fine scratch marks on the paint.
definitely a good idea.

·
Registered
17,069 Posts
so, each floor is about what? 10 feet high? and being that your window is in the middle of the third floor, it shouldn't be more than 25-30 feet up, right? then you just need another 5-10 feet to reach a plug plus whatever it takes to get to the car. I'd say that 100 foot extension cord should do the trick - 50 if your car is parked close enough to the building. of course, i guess that would mean that you'd have to have an extension cord that long :)
Unfortunately my windows and balcony are on the other side of the building. :lol: I'm just runnin' outta luck on this one. Perhaps a really hot day instead? :lol:

Thanks for the tip!! :)

·
Super Moderator
12,861 Posts
Unfortunately my windows and balcony are on the other side of the building. :lol: I'm just runnin' outta luck on this one. Perhaps a really hot day instead? :lol:
A hot, calm day with bright, direct sunlight on the badges you want to remove.

Also, try to get your wife to sit outside in a bikini and watch you. It can sometimes get tedious, and the distraction will help pass the time.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts