G5 Club banner
1 - 20 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Originally posted by jnak:

This is for the 2.2 Ecotec motor.

The intake resonator can be a major pain in the ass to remove. You will need the following:

A jack
Tire wrench
Flat screwdriver
Socket (there are two sizes...I can't remember the sizes off the top of my head though)

1. Jack the front passenger side up. Put a jack stand under the axle so the car doesn't crush you.
2. Remove the front passenger side tire.
3. You will have to pull out the fenderwell lining. There are a number of clips and bolts holding the fenderwell lining in place. I was able to do this without removing the whole lining; however it's probably easier if you do. The fenderwell lining extends under the corner of the bumper and there are clips and bolts there too. To pull out the clips, stick a flat screwdriver under the centre piece, then pry out.
4. Remove the fenderwell lining (just pull it down, then out).
5. The resonator is held in place by a bolt in the front, and a clip in the back. Take out the bolt first. You can see it by crawling under the bumper. It's toward the centre of the car.
6. Once the bolt is out, you will have to pull pretty hard to get the clip out.
7. Pull the resonator out through the fenderwell opening.
8. Replace the fenderwell lining, replace the tire, pull out the jack stand, etc.

Here's a picture of the bong they put in the car:

Unfortunately the car's not here so I can't take any pictures of the car itself.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I took my head light off and the herness for it. Then I went under the car and took off the bottom plascit plate. Not too many people know this but that top chamber of the "bong" can remove. Once that is off..... elbow grease baby. This took me about 90 min. the intake install took about 10.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I think it would be hard to reach the screw from the top, but maybe not. I guess if you cut it in pieces you can pull out from wherever you want!

·
Resident Troll
5,921 Posts
its purpose is to quiet the flow of the intake. it basically is a muffler for your intake. when you take it out it makes your car sound cool. theres a video in my show off your stuff thread where you can kinda hear the difference.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I did that to mine a week ago. To get more cold air, I ran aluminum tubing out to the front of the bumper. This mod does give the car a better throttle response and sounds great. I'll take pics tonight

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Alright, just tore her apart to take some pics.

I took the grill cover off, so you can see the outlet better.
Yea, I know she's dirty...I just got back from Ozzfest :p

AHHHHHHH!!!!!! SOMEBODY POKED HER EYE OUT!!!
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

·
Resident Troll
5,921 Posts
i posted this on the old forum and i got made fun of. ha ha you could also use like a shop vac end (the ones that are rectangular) and have the hose connector piece hook up to your tubing and position it up against the front lower passenger side grille.

·
Resident Troll
5,921 Posts
me? i didnt do it i just thought of doing it. ha ha i also thought of using bigger tubing than the little tube coming from the air box.. when the cars in motion and the tube is hooked directly to the grill, there will be a solid air flow and the airbox would draw that air, but if the tube somehow got kinked or blocked, the airbok could still draw air from the engine bay. ill make a pic on paint to show it better.

·
Resident Troll
5,921 Posts

ya yours draws cold air but im talking about putting th shop vac fitting up against the grill so that its kinda like ram air. the intake would face forward.

the green would be where it would normally draw its air when the car is in motion, the purple color is where it would draw if the tube ever got blocked, and it would be a combo of both when the car is idling.

also water would never make its way up because there would be no suction in the hose from the engine aecause it is not sealed at the top

·
Resident Troll
5,921 Posts
oh and that is probably the best ms paint diagram ever drawn...ever

1 - 20 of 197 Posts