G5 Club banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: "How To Remove Side Moldings"

Tools Needed:

1. Patience
2. A Thumb that is not afraid of getting a blister
3. A Hairdryer to heat up molding
4. A Chair to sit on while removing residue (to save strain on the back and knees)

Ease of Install: Extremely easy

Estimated time to install: 1 hour to remove modlings and residue + normal washing time.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First thing to do is to gather all the supplies listed above. Make sure you have a long enough extension cord to reach both sides of your car for the hair dryer.

1. Use the hairdryer and heat up the modlings about 30 seconds to a minute. This should be enough to heat up the adhesive and make it easier to remove the molding. If the molding still seems really tough, apply more heat. Once the modling is hot enough you have to options on removing it.

a. Just peel and pull the molding off. This is what I have done for my G5. Worked perfectly fine, did not damage paint. But it did leave alot of residue to peel off.
b. Use a fishing line and "floss it between the molding and the car door. This is the method I used on my old Sunfire. Use an up and down motion and work your way across the side of the car until the molding falls right off. This method is much more time consuming(basically shaving the molding off), but it leaves you with less residue to clean up after.

Once the moldings are off the car you will be left with either a lot or a little bit of residue.

Then you have to use your thumb and peel off the remaining residue. Most of it should come off, and the rest can be removed with washing, goo-gone, or a car safe bug and tar remover. This will leave you with a de-molded car and a sleek new look to your car.

Once the car is completely smooth and clean, please Wax the Car ASAP! This new area is not unprotected and needs to get a coat of wax onto it for protection. Hope this helps everyone out!!

·
Original Member
904 Posts
i used a gasoline soaked rag to get rid of the glue, just make sure to WASH AND WAX!!! after, most people forget this and cancer starts up in the winter!

·
Original Member
904 Posts
njg5gt said:
haha gasoline would work, if you want to not be AS flameable, WD-40 works just as well

gotta make the mod fun and exciting right? why not make the job a fire hazard lmao

·
Registered
77 Posts
I use to do that as a job, i had a propane tank hooked up to a flame gun warmed up the stickers or molding and removed with a razor blade :)

To big rigs tho not cars.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Nightlight said:
I use to do that as a job, i had a propane tank hooked up to a flame gun warmed up the stickers or molding and removed with a razor blade :)

To big rigs tho not cars.

Flame gun? RAZOR?!
I think I'd die of heart failure if I saw someone approaching my baby with those things.

·
Needs Something New To Do
1,568 Posts
im going to ask because my wife will kill me if this ruins the paint, is this as easy as it looks. i like the look ten times better and want to do this tomorrow. but she is worried about the paint. i did take the dealership decal off today.

i have both a hairdryer and heat gun what would be the best to use?

·
Resident Troll
5,921 Posts
if you use a heatgun you have to be extra careful because if the paint gets too hot it discolors. if you use a hair dryer you will be safer because its not even as close as hot as a heat gun. all your trying to do is heat up the glue/sticky foam enough to soften it up a bit.

·
Registered
304 Posts
You could go at it with a piece of floss, It will be 10X easier if its at least warm though...

I don't really like how mine looks, but its functional. Prevents door dings :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
if you dont have a hair dryer, come to Florida in July or August let your car sit inthe sun for a few hours and its like a hot knife through butter!!!! :D

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
DinDin said:
im going to ask because my wife will kill me if this ruins the paint, is this as easy as it looks. i like the look ten times better and want to do this tomorrow. but she is worried about the paint. i did take the dealership decal off today.

i have both a hairdryer and heat gun what would be the best to use?
Heat gun is the quickest, but the hairdryer is the SAFEST.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
I'll tell you right now.... I used a hairdryer... it took off a lot but I had a hard time scraping off leftover residue... you should really do this on a hot day (or a heated garage) and ensure when you heat up the beginning area, to heat it for a good amount of time (5 mins then start I'd say).

·
Needs Something New To Do
1,568 Posts
anyone know if ive had my car for about 9 months, is it too late to take these off this up coming weekend?

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
DinDin said:
anyone know if ive had my car for about 9 months, is it too late to take these off this up coming weekend?
Nope. I didn't remove the little GM badges on the fenders until may, meaning the car was 11 months old... no problems there.

Hell... alot of the Grand Am guys are still debadging their old cars and none are having coloration problems either. :lol:

·
Registered
17,069 Posts
This is another one on my to-do list. I'd probably take these and the badges at the same time.

You guys are sure sure sure there'll be no damage to paint?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts