G5 Club banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
I can build it.
5,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
by popular demand and lack of room in my inbox lol here it is!
How to remove the steering trim, shifter knob(auto) and more for painting!

BTW thanks to CherryGt he informed us that the auto Shifter trim is removal its just pulls off, i used a pocket screwdriver to shim it underneath the plastic and then pop it off :)

·
So Delicious !
5,281 Posts
Oh.........
that piece in the auto shift knob
does come out,
and really easy too.....

just a note for those that don't know this.........

·
I can build it.
5,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh.........
does come out,
and really easy too.....

really? i didnt want to mess with it too much fearing it would crack, hows it secured?

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
damn man, your a step ahead of me everytime, one day i was like brain blasT! i should find away to get the letters yelloW SNAP here it is

·
So Delicious !
5,281 Posts
Held in with just push tabs......
if you use a small screwdriver under the insert
on the bottom side and work it up....
then use a larger screwdriver to go farther
under the insert and the 4 little tabs
will pull out......
see tabs in second pic

wwwww 083.jpg

wwwww 084.jpg

·
Registered
134 Posts
Bumblebee... in order for my dumbass to NOT deploy my airbag when going to remove my steeringwheel trim, could I theoretically disconnect my battery while doing this?? I'm a REAL klutz sometimes and the last thing I would want to happen is my airbag to go POOF in my face.

·
Registered
134 Posts
bumblebee, how did you get your interior trim off (the dash trim around the radio)? And, most importantly what shade of yellow did you use?? Its a little too cold here in oregon right now to be tearing my ride apart but as soon as it hits spring I want to start tearing her apart and painting / changing things. I'm just afraid to do it before i'm into my extended warranty but i got 6 thousand miles left. I don't see anyplace where i could unscrew it but it could be that it's cleverly hidden, and i'm afraid to just start prying things off, don't wanna crack nothing.

I'm wondering should I go orange on the inside to match mah fuzzeh dice?

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
bumblebee, how did you get your interior trim off (the dash trim around the radio)? And, most importantly what shade of yellow did you use?? Its a little too cold here in oregon right now to be tearing my ride apart but as soon as it hits spring I want to start tearing her apart and painting / changing things. I'm just afraid to do it before i'm into my extended warranty but i got 6 thousand miles left. I don't see anyplace where i could unscrew it but it could be that it's cleverly hidden, and i'm afraid to just start prying things off, don't wanna crack nothing.

After a quick search thru the many how-to's I've posted :D... this popped up:
http://www.g5club.net/showthread.php/861-How-To-Disassemble-your-Dashboard-(Pics-Vids!)

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks a lot. Perfect!!

GTO 1

Oh.........
does come out,
and really easy too.....

That is correct. When you purchase the GM (complete) dash color kits (dash trim, shifter and door trims), they give you the little auto shift knob insert, not the entire shift knob with the color you ordered. I think it has 2 "tangs" on each side holding it in place. However if you order the upgraded color shifter only, GM will not sell the insert separately,, you must purchase the insert installed in the leather auto shift knob. But you do get your choice of Black. Gray or Tan leather to match your interior.

GTO 1

·
I can build it.
5,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

if you paint use krylon fusion and there is only one yellow and it matchs the body very well, or you could viynl wrap your trim, its simple looks perfect and is removable, as far as color i dont know about orange BUT one theme i really think would be cool for a yellow 5 would be red/yellow so matching all your trim and stuff with the tail lights red would be really cool!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts