G5 Club banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I needed to replace the oil pressure sensor. I assumed there would be no oil coming from the hole after I unscrew the sensor, as it is located higher than oil pan. But to my surprise oil poured from it as soon as I removed the sensor. I promptly screwed it back in. The first question is why is oil pouring? The second question is how to replace the sensor in this situation?

·
Premium Member
12,863 Posts
I can't say for sure, since I haven't had to change that sensor. But if I were in your situation, I'd drain the oil (do an oil change).

Your oil filter should have a check valve in it, which would explain why there is oil when you remove the oil pressure sensor. The sensor isn't simply screwed into the crankcase, as there is no oil pressure there. It is on the high-pressure side of the oil pump, and the check valve in the oil filter keeps that area primed with oil. If I were to guess, I bet it had almost finished draining when you put the oil pressure sensor back in.

You might have luck by just removing the oil filter cap. That might allow enough of the oil to drain back into the oil pan.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts