G5 Club banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This will be useful for many projects ranging from recovering or repainting door pieces/trim/panel to installing new speakers. This was my first time doing this on my own car since I had my old Cavalier and I'll tell you, really was NOT hard at all. I'll say be careful when reinstalling your door panel as you can puncture a speaker if you don't look carefully while reinstalling (as I did but it did not affect the quality of speaker amazingly enough, but it was still a sad sight :( ). Don't let that detour you though, all I'm saying is be careful when reinstalling!!!

Tools needed:
1.) Flat head screw driver
2.) Window unroller removal tool
3.) Cross-tip screw driver
4.) Pair of good hands.

Steps:
1.) Pop out the pin that holds the window unroller in place with a window unroller removal tool. NOTE: You can use a rag and work your way in, but its MUCH easier with this $3 tool you can get from any automotive store.

2.) Pop the cover behind the door handle off using your flat tip screw driver. There should be a tab where you can pull it down from the top.

3.) Once the cover is off, unscrew with cross-tip screw driver:

4.) Actually if you want full details on taking apart your door handle or just popping it out of the door, you can visit this link: http://www.g5club.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5304

5.) In your armrest insert handle part, with a flat tip, pull the tab back and pull up.

6.) Undo the two screws in the handle with cross tip.

7.) Now for the fun part, popping out the clips; if you’re careful enough, you might not break them! LoL. Carefully use a flat tip to help with popping the clips loose. you can even use this for the mirror adjust (if you have a tweeter there, it might be similar to pop loose and undo the wiring if its in a harness but I’m not sure, since I have a base model!). I’ll tell you though its not hard to just pop it out by hand for mine because my door panels have been off so many times for various projects. Heres some pics:

Here is a pic of behind the door of where the clips are, might help you with where to pull on the door to help pop the clips out:

8.) Carefully lift up over/past the door lock/unlock. Door panel now off, repeat for other side ☺. NOTE: This will vary depending on your accessories in your car as to what it looks like inside of your door. Mine was total base model so I installed power door lock actuators, have aftermarket Hertz speakers(they sound amazing!!!!), and yeah. So this will look a little different based on if you're a base model, power accessories, gt, cobalt ss, cobalt lt, cobalt ls, etc.

Enjoy whatever project you needed to take your door panel off for!!!

Videos to follow as soon as I edit/upload them!!! I'll also post up a picture of the unroller removal tool too as soon as I take a picture of it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have tried to remove the cover in the armrest insert opening and cannot for the life of me get it out. I push the tab back with a flat head and then use tweezers to lift up on it, but it doesn't come out. It's almost as if the tab doesn't go back far enough to allow it to lift out. The one behind the door handle was no problem. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
16 Posts
LOL, i just tried the passenger door to see if that one was any easier, and the little tab broke off but I was then able to get it out no problem!

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had same problem... you just have to keep trying until she pops up! lol... my passenger one, the tab broke! not a big deal though since you can't really see/notice it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Great wright up! I'm going to be doing this as soon as it warms up for a few paint projects and recovering the cloth inserts.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I wanted to take my door panel off and I too had problems with the plugs in the door cups and had to break the tabs to get them out.

I decided before I wanted to take off the door panel completely and ruin the plugs or area behind the inside door handle that I would go out today and get a screwdriver pick set from Sears.

I used it on the inside handle plug and it came out no problem. Next week when I install my painted parts I will get new plugs and see if the picks work on the door pull cup tabs as well.

The kit only cost me $7.99 and was very useful.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
I tried the door handle link but it didn't work once the cover is popped off how do i get the handle out. currentley have to roll wimdow down to get out of car

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
You have to have a tool that looks like a fork but missing the two inside points I guess you could say. Advance auto parts has them. I had the same problem

1 - 20 of 28 Posts