G5 Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Originally Posted by farfrmnormal:

This is a How-To I took from Cobaltss.net to help contribute to our site.

================================================
How-To: Wire Up Halos For Projectors

Tools Needed:
------------------
Wire
Crimpers
Wire Stripers
Connectors
Heat Shrink Tubing
Lighter
Extra Wire
Self Stripping Wire Taps

Lets get started!

1. First you need to remove the lights if you already installed them by removing these 2 bolts and then wiggle it out.

2. Crimp male connector and heat shrink the 3 white (+) and 3 black (-) wires together (like in the picture below).

I like to extend the wires so that there is some extra leverage when you remove the headlights for aiming. I took a separate length of wire, stripped one end and connected a female connector on one end - this is to connect to the male connector in the picture above. The other end of the extra length of wire was left stripped.

5. Next take your original wiring harness from your stock lights and locate the brown wire and black wire. This is where you will need your wire taps. I cleared a little bit of the insulation off of the wire to ensure my tap got a good connection - connect your wire taps to each of the wires (brown & black) but DON'T close them just yet.

6. Take the bare end of the extra wire you added to the white and black wires on your headlights and get them ready. For this you want to insert the extra length that is connected to the white wires into the tap that is on the brown wire on the wiring harness. The extra length of black wire from your headlights will then be inserted into the tap on the black wire. Once the wires are completely covered close the wire tap. It should look like this:

7. The ends with the female connectors now plug into the male connectors from step 1 - Black to Black, White to Brown.

Test your lights and then re-install.

Thanks to Hitokirijay for his pictures!

·
Registered
46 Posts
your how too

So you just have to do the white and black wires and all the lights will work or you have to plug into the stock factory plug?

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Is the wiring fairly simple on the Halo Projectors? I saw a guy on here with just the 2 halos on. Thats something that I would want to do on my car, even if I have to make a switch for them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
thanks but one more thang

Hey thanks for that how too, i printed it out it seems very help full. i think i am break one of the rules and drink more than one beer hahahahah but my last question is thats to wire in the halo's what about the actually projector headlight it's self how does that get wire up or pluged in?

·
Registered
46 Posts
last thang

Hey Rob thanks for the how too but i already knew how to do that but my question was in the picture only the halo's light up, so i was wondering in order to get the actually projector light to work what do u do? or did the guy just not have the light on just his halos?

·
Registered
46 Posts
your not answering my question

Hey thanks for the pics but that already answered my question now i am wondering how to make the actually headlight work. the pictures only get the halo's to work. i want to know how to make my actually headlights turn on is it a plug or what?

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its plug and play. so the headlight wireing/connector plugs right into the headlight. the only thing you really need to do is wire the halos/LEDs. and of course bold the headlight in :lol:

·
Registered
649 Posts
And these look like? If they are what I am thinking about - I tried them, they don't splice through the insulation on the wire enough to get a good contact with the wire.

In the picture the guy didn't have the headlight portion plugged in - for the purpose of showing us what the halos look like. They are harder to see with the headlights on.

·
Registered
46 Posts
thanks

hey everyone thanks for all the help, now if anyone has an idea of where i can buy a good set of lights let me now, i am looking at ebay but i am not sure by the looks of them some of them are not plug and play type.

·
Registered
649 Posts
hitokirijay said:

Wire Tap in the pic
I used those - they do not penetrate the wire enough and are flimsy. When you get yours you will see what I am talking about - especially because you will be pulling those headlights out of your car probably 100 times before you get them aimed right! Those wire taps are not "weather" proof either. When dealing with electrical work that is going to be exposed to some amounts of water, its not my recommendation.

·
Registered
46 Posts
your recom.

Hey thanks so if the those clips dont work then what type of splicing would u recommand for me to do then? just stripe the insulator off and then soder the new wire to it or what?

·
Registered
649 Posts
It depends on how good you are at that.

I stripped a portion of the insulation off, wrapped the new wire around it and used electrical tape. The only other way is to completely cut the wire and put a connector on.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Now, if you use a proper guage sealed (for weatherproofing) wire tap i'm sure that it will fit properly. Not 100% but on thursday when I get them installed i'll let you kno whow secure it is and whether I had to resort to wire stripping,

For those who are wondering according to the dealership specs. The headlight wires are 18guage wire.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts