Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey G5'ers...
I'm a little torn need help deciding...
You see Telus is an amazingly good job and well paying... but can be boring.

Ever since I was a little kid I've wanted to join the Airforce and it braught back memories going to the airshow last weekend.

So I applied online and got a responce back asking to go in for some tests.
Now I'm a little torn.. should I leave my current job for the airforce where its probably not so boring.. have a chanse to explore the world and serve my country and do what I've been wanting to do or risk giving up my good current job?

I've got a lot ahead of me I'm only 18 so I could always come back and get a good job afterwards but yeah... I don't know help me think by voting!

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Not to mention I would end up going all over Canada for training wouldn't be local where I live now and probably wouldn't have too much time to spend on the computer and posting on ClubG5 but I would have the time of my life hmm..! SO TORN!

·
Registered
830 Posts
It's whatever you feel will be most rewarding in the end, and most importantly how you feel about it. What do you do at telus?

·
Original Member
904 Posts
Join the airforce man! ive always wanted a military carrer. Just make sure ur not on the buissness end of a bogey!

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well right now I'm a Mobility Client Care HIGH VALUE representative... In September I'll be off the phones doing the same position but for emailing and stuff that takes too long to do on the phones.. it'll be great to not have people yell in my ear anymore... I would keep working my way up the ladder at Telus but the thing is if I want into the Military I need to do it while I'm young!

This is why I'm torn... I've been wanting into Telus since I worked at London Drugs before saw HUGE opportunity and it pays really well! So I applied for it and got in... My brother's wife took 4 years for her of constant applying to get in.. its HARD to get a job at Telus... but it can be boring... I felt that a career in mobility was the way I was needing to go.

Since I was a little kid tho I've always gone to the Abbotsford Airshow and been so amazed by everything... and my dad being in the reserves has always been into war and paraphenalia has been in the military for 40 years... my uncle same boat has been in the military for 20 years they both love it except he was in the Navy... hmm...

·
Registered
547 Posts
If it's something you've always dreamed of, I say go for it. You're young enough to be able to work your way back in to Telus, if you ever change your mind.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Except for that part on the Telus application that says "Have you or are you been a part of the Canadian Military if so for how long and when?" That is the only job I have ever seen ask that question... lol. hmm..

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
I'm not sure for the requirements of AIRCOM, but check with a recruiter to see if you would be able to get in one of the CF-18's. I know most countries require certain physical and educational qualifications in order to fly.

They'll probably also want you to be an Officer... usually requires college.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I prefer sitting on my ass at a desk all day, but that's just me :lol: But like I said, it really comes down on what YOU want to do.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Well i was in the infantry 2RCR, grant it it was VERY difficult,i have tried to measure what I have done in my life since and nothing can compare,thats the downside of it too,you will difficult to find a civilian career that is as challenging and rewarding as putting your ass on the line.
Good luck to you,like an earlier poster said"its how your heart feels" I have great respect for military but in particular infantry personell,they are just the best citizens period,for what they do.The Telus job sounds like a chick job anyways.LOL!!!

·
Registered
439 Posts
My question would be, Do you get to decide what area of the airforce you want to go in?

I know some sectors of the military don't let you choose, they choose for you. :?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Joining the AirForce would be quite rewarding. You learn lots of stuff, serve your country, make some money, have some fun.

Joining Telus, well you get to say I sold 100 units last month....

I'd say AirForce.

·
Banned
3,377 Posts
If it's between the Canadian Airforce and Telus...... TELUS
If it's between the British Airforce and Telus....... Airforce
If it's between the USAF and Telus....... Obviously Telus.
My two cents

·
Registered
94 Posts
I know that there is a lot of anti-American sentiment. But, I'll defend the US Air Force to the death. I spent 5 years in the US Navy, and 19 years in the US Air Force. My heart is with the US Air Force.

I worked closely with Canadians for about 4 years when I was in NORAD; and at that time we had a Canadian officer in charge of NORAD. Of course NORAD (North American Air Defense Command) is a joint venture of the U.S. and Canada.

I've walked the walk, and I've talked the talk, and I spent 19 years in the belly of the beast; so I know what the U.S. Air Force is all about. I don't want to get political, but I would hate to tell you what I think of those people who bad mouth the heroes serving in either the U.S. Air Force or the Canadian Air Force.

If I were not older than dirt, I would still serve on active duty; and I am deeply offended by comments against the Canadian or the U.S. Air Force.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well thanks everyone for your input!

I have decided... I just got a new gf not too long ago.. if I was still living the single life I would have dropped my current job in a heartbeat... also at work with all the changes in the wireless industry I seem to be an expert who everyone seeks for information about everything... So I've decided so far..... I'll stick with telus... I can still explore the world anyhow on my vacation (also with Telus International who sets up call centers in different countries)...

If I do end up being single again tho I know exactly where I'm going! haha!!!

I'll be calling them to tell them to scrap my application :).

·
Registered
46 Posts
well i dont know in canada, but the usaf is very very very hard to get into, i am a solider in the us army and i was gonna go do spec ops for the us air force(am spec. ops for army) but they wanted to high of scores for the asvab, also to be a pilot i now you need a 4 year degree. so my two sense and from experce stay with the job go to college and expand into a better career.

·
Registered
79 Posts
id say go for it man, My unlce is in the Airforce and has been since he was 18, he loves it...he travels alot...i'v actually thought about going in but ive had too many surgerys and stuff so i wont be able...My lil bro is going to the Marines so im all up for the military thing...besides ur 18 so you can be out by the time your 23 and still have a life ahead of you

1 - 20 of 24 Posts