G5 Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting June 1, 2009, a US law will require all Canadians to present a valid passport to enter the United States by water or land.

For details on how to apply for a passport or about the new US law that will be in effect as of June 1st, 2009, please visit the link below:
http://www.ppt.gc.ca/index.aspx?lang=eng

What does this mean? Well... if you don't have one GET ONE NOW!!! It takes roughly 4-10 weeks to process a passport application and to receive your passport in the mail.

So get on it!

I'm filling out my stuff tonight and mailing it tomorrow!

·
Registered
82 Posts
So get on it!

I'm filling out my stuff tonight and mailing it tomorrow!
You are not liar...
First of all you still need to get ur picture taken.... and then you need to find a guarantor and then its Saturday tmrw so mail isn't going anywhere anyways ;)

·
Registered
188 Posts

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I want to come to Canada this summer (via car) so I applied for the new passport CARD and not the trditionall "book". Card was a lot cheaper than the book and does the SAME thing except new card is NOT valid for air travel. I think the card was like $40 and the book was like $120. They are good for 10 years or so (here). Good to have!
You can download application online. They require 2 identical pictures of a weird size with the face portion fitting a format along with your upper torso. Someone into photography could possible do it. They give you a diagram on the online application. DO NOT go to your Post Office or "official" place up there to have these (photos) done. They will hugely rip U off in price, due to the specific size you will need. Go to a CVS or Walgrens drug store with a photo center in them. (Do you have those up there?) Any large chain drug store with a photo center will do those pics in about 5 mins and give them to you for about $7-$9 USD. Take a copy of a blank online application so they see the size required. Do NOT take your photo in ANY type of uniform or will be rejected!!! If you wear a uniform to work, take a pull over sweater or a larger shirt to wear while photo is taken.
Passport applications are down 35-40% here this year... I got mine returned complete in 3 to 3 1/2 weeks. YOUR time there MAY be different.
Like Rob said... plan ahead... takes 10 mins to complete application and get your pics to send. You will need an ORIGINAL birth certificate or whatever Canada requires. Whatever original documents you send them... WILL be returned to you in a separate envelope as your passport is mailed to you.

Posted this last January: http://g5club.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6095&highlight=passport

GTO 1

·
falkor!!!
23,478 Posts
I want to come to Canada this summer (via car) so I applied for the new passport CARD and not the trditionall "book". Card was a lot cheaper than the book and does the SAME thing except new card is NOT valid for air travel. I think the card was like $40 and the book was like $120. They are good for 10 years or so. Good to have!
larissa and i just applied for passports last week since we too are planning on going to canada this summer. we almost got the cards since they were cheaper and more convenient, but we ended up getting the books just in case we decide to fly out of country in the next few years :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts