G5 Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellas,

I don't want to do this, but I think it may come time. I bought the car from Nova Scotia, but live in New Brunswick. Some of you may know that within the last 5 years, NB passed a law requiring all vehicles to have a license plate on the front and back :(.

I did some research on the internet, and a few people have shimmied up some ways of attaching the plate mount without drilling holes - as that's what I want to avoid.

I've read things like zip-tying the mount through the front grill on an Mitsubishi evo, etc.. But have not found much for the G5. Because of the front design of all G5s, I'm starting to lose hope on finding a way of mounting the plate without drilling holes.

Has anyone conquered the hole-drilling, and come up with a way to mount it, or am I just living in a wishful world?

Cheers,

Jeff

P.S. I would really love to not ruin my bumper.. lol

·
Registered
17,578 Posts
i made my own brackets out of some thin gauge steel. mounts under the bumper and holds the plate about an inch away from it. nice n strong and seems to work.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i made my own brackets out of some thin gauge steel. mounts under the bumper and holds the plate about an inch away from it. nice n strong and seems to work.
If you get a chance, could you upload some up-close pictures of it and the gap?

·
Registered
524 Posts
i would like to know this too because in texas we have to have front and back plate. i dont use the front, but i know state troopers will ticket for not having it. this is risky if i drive out of town lol

Edit: found this though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZroO21zUl8c
Texas messed up we no longer need a front plate.
You can get pulled over but they can't fine you for it.
Look it up it you don't believe me.
:D

[insert signature here]

·
Super Moderator
12,861 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing too. I'll have to get a new bumper sometime soon, and I don't want to drill holes in it. I think with the GT bumper there might be enough room in the lower grill to mount a plate. I'm not sure if your base bumper (with fogs) is different.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
What is so bad about mounting the license plate where it was designed to go? It is pre-marked with the location for the 3 screws, it isn't difficult at all to drill them and mount the bracket.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Texas messed up we no longer need a front plate.
You can get pulled over but they can't fine you for it.
Look it up it you don't believe me.
:D

[insert signature here]
Whaaaaat!!? Really?? We got pulled over once coming from sa in my in law's toureg and he got a ticket -_- but this was last summer I believe.. things change so ill look it up :D

·
2+2= <*)))><
12,521 Posts
Legally, Texas requires a front license plate. BUT, with the latest law change, there is no more punishment for no front plate. So it is still a law, but there is no longer a $200 fine.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What is so bad about mounting the license plate where it was designed to go? It is pre-marked with the location for the 3 screws, it isn't difficult at all to drill them and mount the bracket.
There's just something about drilling holes into a perfectly good bumped that I don't agree with.. I think that hidden plate mount might be the way to go for me. It look a little flimsy though!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i would like to know this too because in texas we have to have front and back plate. i dont use the front, but i know state troopers will ticket for not having it. this is risky if i drive out of town lol

Edit: found this though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZroO21zUl8c
Wicked find! I like that a lot, but I'm not too sure about it. It seems a little flimsy! I'll have to try to find some reviews about it online.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Wicked find! I like that a lot, but I'm not too sure about it. It seems a little flimsy! I'll have to try to find some reviews about it online.
Yea I wonder if it will last on the highway. But I wonder where he got it? I looked on eBay and there's only some for the mustang and Corvette. I wonder if they will fit?

And white balt I see now lol I Googled it ;) and I havent had one since I got my new bumper :)

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
So I got stopped earlier today.. and it was because I didn't have a front license plate. -_- what luck.. they told me I had to show the judge I have it and I couldn't get a bracket at the time but to get it in the front no matter where.

·
Registered
524 Posts
So I got stopped earlier today.. and it was because I didn't have a front license plate. -_- what luck.. they told me I had to show the judge I have it and I couldn't get a bracket at the time but to get it in the front no matter where.
Yeah, all you gotta do it like zip tie it to the car.
Lmao, since that law got changed not one cop has said anything or looked at me.

And I drive all over town and to Austin.
You just got bad luck.
Sorry to here that.

[insert signature here]

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Hahaha yea he was a cool cop though he couldn't keep his eyes off my car when he would walk from his unit :p ... But yea he was real chill and told me to make an excuse :0

1 - 20 of 23 Posts