G5 Club banner

Instrument Cluster Gauge Pods

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Cherry GT 
#1 ·
I know some of the cobalt guys used to add gauge pods to the sides of the instrument cluster bezel to get rid of the A-Pillar Gauges, does anyone still make them though? I know Ortiz still makes them but I'd rather not spend 200$ on one. Figured I'd ask before I buy a spare bezel and attempt to make one

Reactions: Doc-Z
#3 · (Edited)
👆 👆 👆 👆 . . . . That looks real nice!

I second that. Make your own. You can use JB Weld to hold / secure / glue the pods in place. It does pretty good with changes in temperature.

Pro-TIP: If you secure the pods in place with masking tape, you can 'direct' or 'mold' the epoxy fairly easily WITH the tape. The epoxy does NOT stick to the sticky side of 3M masking tape, so you can apply the JB Weld to the pod and cluster and help to shape it with the tape (reduces sanding time). I made this pod for my GTO using PVC pipe, fiberglass and JB Weld. This was a few years ago when I was still in the process of figuring out how to get the cupholders to work (center piece with yellow masking tape on it). The PVC pipe is the white part. I did use fiberglass to form the backs of the pods, but the round bits to hold the gauges are PVC pipe and PVC pipe junctions.

Brick Brickwork Building material Road surface Gas

I also modded my A-Pillar pod using ONLY JB Weld to secure it and hold it together. It sands down really well! If you look at the bottom pod you can see how the JB Weld took to the form of the masking tape. There were some air pockets, but this was the first gluing to hold the pods in the alignment I wanted. I did have to epoxy it a few times and go over it with some Bondo to really smooth it out.

Automotive tire Bicycle tire Motor vehicle Tread Synthetic rubber

This is the finished product:

Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Car

#4 ·
Alright, ill have to order a spare bezel n some cheapo pods in a couple weeks then.

#6 ·
Yea but they sell the DIY pods for doing A-Pillars for a couple bucks, so I wouldn't have to fill and shape as much.

Reactions: Doc-Z
#7 ·
I would suggest, (and NOT that you wouldn't already do it) - BUT - before you go to perminently glue / epoxy it all together, mock it all up first. Get it all situated, sit in your car and move stuff around. Adjust the steering wheel, the seat and everything around the cluster that you might futz with once in a while. You may need to trim down some parts of the pods or the cluster surround. Once you're happy with the placement of the pods, then secure it down with masking tape. Carefully remove it and epoxy / glue it down. If you're REALLY anal, you can start the gluing / epoxying while it's still in the car, so it doesn't shift while you're trying to remove it.

JFYI...the thicker saran wrap (which usually comes with various types of printing on it), will NOT stick to JB Weld. So, if you put that stuff down first, if it drips or gets messy, the cluster will come out really easy. You don't want to be gluing the instrument cluster to your dash.

Whatever you do (again, not that you wont), post up some pics! I'd love to see it!!!

Reactions: Sir 500mph
#8 ·
#10 ·
Not to revive a dead thread but whats with all the bots on all the forums recently? Atleast tag n dm on something new

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.