G5 Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have this done, I have some questions. First of all did you do this yourself? if so how hard was it? what did you wire into for power? how about ground? where abouts did you install the on/off switch? was this hard as well? in my old car, i just taped them under the dash and wired into my remote start thing and just taped an on/off switch under the dash :p I want to do it properly and if it seems to complicated (I don't want to mess anything up) I'm just going to go to a shop here and get them to wire them in. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Wire them into a fuse box. Any normal grounding spot will do and for a switch well you can put it where ever you want. hidden is always the best way IMO.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'm not very electrically inclined, so how do you wire into a fuse box? any specific fuse? or just any empty one.

·
Registered
62 Posts
whichever fuse u want the lights to turn on with...

i.e. plug into the fuse for the lights.. neons will go on and off when the lights go on and off.

·
Premium Member
10,371 Posts
im installing mine tomorrow. here's how im going to do mine. in slot 20 of your fuse box located in the passenger side of the center console (by your left foot when sitting in the passenger seat), there is a fuse that controls your sunroof. right above that one (slot 21) is a spare spot. in that spot i will place a 10 amp fuse with an add-a-circuit feature built in. from there i will run a wire to the positive side of the first neon (located under the drivers side dash).

the neons i bought are chain-able so i can just wire one into the fuse box and chain the rest off the first one. 10 amps will be plenty of power for this. slot 21 is made to function the same as the rest of the electronics in the car (10 min with no key after shutting off as long as drivers door stays closed, etc.)

as for a grounding spot, either a screw on the same side as the fuse box, or there is a great grounding screw on the opposite side in the same location.

as for switches, im putting mine in the little spot under the hvac controls where the 12v cigarette outlet is. i will be taking the piece off, drilling for the switches, placing and capping them. shouldnt take more than two hours at the most.

hope this covers everything. ill post pics when i'm done. im also changing the color of my hvac controls and seat warmer buttons since ill have the faceplate off.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good stuff, how to possibly? I'm a very visual person when it comes to doing stuff haha :p

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
haha good stuff, i just have 4 blue neons underneath my dash and under front seats they are going to a switch to a cig lighter i found all my neons do not put out equal light which looks like @$$, last night i just ordered street glow 2 3"led sticks 2 red 9" led sticks to replace my neons all together and 4000K street glow head lights off sounddomain.com hopefully everything comes in on the weekend so i get can get them in for cruise weekend this weekend in saskatoon i will have pictures of everything when its all done

edit; since I am in the process of changing jobs I have decided to put mods on my car on hold for a little while which gives me time to think of even better ideas

·
Banned
3,377 Posts
I did my like "njg5gt" but I built my own lights with plastic tubes and high output LED's.

I tapped into the same spare circuit with an add-a-circuit. I removed the coin/sunglasses tray (the one that covers your trunk button) and made a hole in it just big enough to wedge a switch in and then I wired it up with the wires running under the cars carpet.

·
Premium Member
10,371 Posts
oh i forgot to mention, mine are high output led's as well, not neons. if anyone is interested, here's the link. they are relatively inexpensive, and you save more when you buy more than one.

Street FX lights

fast shipping too

·
Registered
649 Posts
Yes, definitely make a how to when you are done.

I am thinking about doing the cup holder LED mod from Cobaltss.net that MkRuley has done. I just want to invest in a new cup holder in case I fubar this one up.

·
Premium Member
10,371 Posts
you could always try it on the actual cup holder and if it doesnt work, put the smaller rubber cup holder on top to hide it....

i'm also doing the HVAC mod from cobaltss.net so if that works ill make a how to for that one as well

·
Registered
298 Posts
njg5gt said:
oh i forgot to mention, mine are high output led's as well, not neons. if anyone is interested, here's the link. they are relatively inexpensive, and you save more when you buy more than one.

Street FX lights

fast shipping too
Nice. I was trying to find those. I made my own LED strip a few years ago.. not quite as pretty, but works just as well, and it's hidden anyways (at least it should be if installed properly;) )

·
Registered
298 Posts
farfrmnormal said:

I am thinking about doing the cup holder LED mod from Cobaltss.net that MkRuley has done. I just want to invest in a new cup holder in case I fubar this one up.
What is the mod, I take it lights inside the cup holders? I did something like that in my old car.. looked great :) ( can't get on their site right now, down for maintenance.. ugh)

·
Premium Member
10,371 Posts
yeah, they put in about four leds in the cup holder section and hardwired them into the fuse box just like the neons. looks cool when you have a water bottle in the cup holder at night =]

·
Registered
167 Posts
farfrmnormal said:

were can you find that link on that site, that sounds like a good idea!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts