G5 Club banner

Is my valvetrain too loud?

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Sir 500mph 
#1 ·
Over the past couple months, I've noticed that some of the time (not every time) when I first start my 2007 G5, there's a loud noise. I assume it just takes oil a few seconds to reach the top of the engine, but I've been reading a lot about the poor design of the timing chain tensioner and now I'm a little worried.

To get a better idea of what it sounds like, I hanged a microphone between the passenger side of the engine of the airbox and started it up. Does this sound normal?

(Yes, I removed my resonator. Assuming I don't need to replace the timing chain or tensioner, the air box is the next stock part to go.)

#4 ·
I'm fairly strict, with some exceptions. I usually change it and the filter before 5,000 miles. I'm sending a sample to Blackstone Labs with the next change. Aside from this occasional startup noise, it drives beautifully no matter how hard I push it.

#6 ·
Hmm...engine age/miles?
Ten years old (2007) and 157,000 miles on the clock, half of those miles mine. The bottom of the oil cap is spotless, and coolant levels are right where they should be.

I assumed it was the sound of a dry engine, before the oil had a chance to get sucked out of the pan. But, I've been reading about timing chain tensioners lately and getting a little paranoid.

#7 ·
Given only half the miles are yours, and ONLY if you've used synthetic exclusively with a GOOD filter, I'd say you'd be OK & get it done next year after saving up a bit (or use an IRS refund). Otherwise, no telling what damage the other folks did with poor oil maintenance.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

#8 ·
How noisy yours is makes me feel alittle better about having not done my timing chain yet lol. I get that weird rattle on start-up occasionally too, but only when its around or below freezing in the engine bay. I always attributed it to Oil Pressure taking a moment and Forged Internals
Hows it sound warmed up?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.