G5 Club banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
'07 Black GT Coupe
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought some of you here might be interested

I personnaly am, but I'm waiting to see dynos and reviews from fellow 2.4 owners before I make my move.

it's certainly cheaper than the Vector tune if you want to have 2 ECU's!
http://www.jetchip.com/products.asp?pid ... =2562#2562

scroll through page 2 to see Jet Performance emails to the forum member who asked more information.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Pure crap in my opinion, stay away from anything Jet. In my naive days I bought one of their "Performance Chips" for my Grand Am which they claimed a boots of 25HP. It tapped into the TPS, and MAP that’s it. It was a massive waist of money it didn't do anything, now that I’m a bit more enlightened in the ways of the internal combustion engine I know why. All it did was messed up the power enrichment tables by advancing the TPS signal to the PCM, meaning it would tell the PCM that the throttle position was 100% when in fact it was only at 70%. On the MAP side it modified the MAP signal to trick the PCM into dumping in more fuel.

That’s was Jet specialized in, “Tricking” the computer into doing what it wants it do, this is otherwise know as piggybacking. It’s a dumb way of doing it and any true performance company’s wrote off a long time ago, basically its on step up on an e bay scam.

This current version of the Jet "Chip" probably tricks a few more things than the one that I had for my Grand Am however it’s no substitute for actual programming changes company’s like Vector offer.

·
'07 Black GT Coupe
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's what I always thought and they are quite evasive in their replies too.

I'll wait until someone gets one and we'll see. Only thing that puts me off vector is the price, if it was 350 with the new ECU I'd be happy.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Renesis said:
that's what I always thought and they are quite evasive in their replies too.

I'll wait until someone gets one and we'll see. Only thing that puts me off vector is the price, if it was 350 with the new ECU I'd be happy.
If you have no problem running 91 octane in your car, then it’s not a big deal. The only reason I have my stock ECU is because I don’t want to have to run 94 in the rainy winter season, its like 15 cents more than regular.

·
'07 Black GT Coupe
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
best I can buy here is 91, definitely don't want to run 91 in winter (which is at least 6 months) and although they apparently can't see anything (the dealer) I prefer to have the stock one to swap it back before sending it in for warranty work, if that ever has to happen (fingers crossed)

although I'd have to make the calculations, since the price diff between 89 (what I run normally) and 91 isn't that big..

·
Registered
162 Posts
Renesis said:
best I can buy here is 91, definitely don't want to run 91 in winter (which is at least 6 months) and although they apparently can't see anything (the dealer) I prefer to have the stock one to swap it back before sending it in for warranty work, if that ever has to happen (fingers crossed)

although I'd have to make the calculations, since the price diff between 89 (what I run normally) and 91 isn't that big..
They have no way to detect the tune.

·
'07 Black GT Coupe
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah

and I assume I'd get lazy and not want to go under hood and change it 2 times per year.

plus my engine would like me to use 91 all the time since it's what I should be using already :lol:

yeah, maybe core exchange could be the way...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Renesis said:
yeah

and I assume I'd get lazy and not want to go under hood and change it 2 times per year.

plus my engine would like me to use 91 all the time since it's what I should be using already :lol:

yeah, maybe core exchange could be the way...
Thats really lazy because it takes 60 seconds. lol

·
Registered
641 Posts
That looks like trash to me, you'd be better off with a real tune, after all every car is different

·
Premium Member
10,371 Posts
if you're going to spend that much money on an ECU, i say just get hptuners and tune it yourself/have someone wo knows what they're doing tune it. that way you have customisable features that you don get with an out-of-the-box tune from these companies.

·
'07 Black GT Coupe
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well the local shop that has HP Tuners doesn't have any experience on the 2.4 and apparently they're hard to tune.

and the price they quoted me for hours on the dyno/tuning and hp tuners credit would easily take the price to more than the VMS tune.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Renesis said:
well the local shop that has HP Tuners doesn't have any experience on the 2.4 and apparently they're hard to tune.

and the price they quoted me for hours on the dyno/tuning and hp tuners credit would easily take the price to more than the VMS tune.
no doubt1 i have talked to 5 dyno shops they will tune a 2.0 but won't touch a 2.4

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Jet Chips, and anything you usually find on ebay is a TPS 'enhancer'. It basically just a junk chip that makes the car think that its at 100% throttle so it just dumps fuel into the engine as if you're wanting to have the fuel flow for 100% throttle.

Usually it throws a SES light and alot of people have reported longer 1/4 mile times.

Basically if something promises high gains for a very dirt cheap price... its a scam. Its like those vortex air inserts or the fuel ionization magnets. Power is not cheap, and doesn't come easy.

·
PSD=PostSaturnDepression
826 Posts
I know of some people who were able to read the stock tune and tweak some things with HPT, but not much after that.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts