G5 Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted about a month ago about my hydrolock issues and needed to install a new engine. Well my stock clutch plate was pretty warn and since the engine was out we took the opportunity to replace it. I went to Napa and they wanted $350 for an OEM clutch and 5 days for delivery. I went online and found the Exedy stage 2 racing clutch for $350 with shipping and only 2 days to arrive. Done deal.

The Stage 2 Clutch is intense. I have only had it in for 3 days but I have to use all my strength to get it to disengage fully (and I do about 800lbs on the leg press). It's loosening up a little bit but still really rough pulling off the line (at economy speeds).

However, when I tested it down an empty street, the difference was insane. Absolutely no slip between shifts, third gear chirps and I believe it takes at least half a second off my quarter mile time (estimated). World of difference.

I do not recommend it for daily driver use. It's a workout on the clutch leg and the car itself. Although I have not tried it, I would recommend the Stage 1 Organic clutch, especially over the OEM parts since it's actually cheaper.

exedy stage 2 racing clutch.jpg

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have the stage 1 installed. Definitely a huge difference over stock. Not only no slippage but shifts are also a lot smoother (less jerking when popping it fast). The stiffness lessens and I almost gone, or your leg gets used to it, not sure which lol, after about a couple weeks to a month depending on driving conditions. Third chirps will go away once it's broke in :( at least mine did. Excellent buy though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah, the chirps have gone away and now it is much much smoother.... I retract my earlier opinion, get an Exedy, totally worth the money. Especially if you need a new clutch anyways.

Unless you're a lazy shifter, than stay stock. I used to be, now have to push all the way down for every shift or the synchros will hate you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts