G5 Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Automatic Coupe and like no options
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi im kinda new here so id like to introduce myself im Chris and I have a White 09 G5 coupe auto. I got it around two years ago as my "first" car for $2500 with 130k miles. Its basically completely stock except for aftermarket headlights the old owner put in.

At first I didn't really care for it as I had no say in what I got but after a while it has grown on me and its now my baby.

I plan on keeping it for as long as I can as a daily, so here are some ideas I have for it. Ive been thinking of lowering it and putting on bigger wheels and a full exhaust and tune and maybe an SS spoiler. I also plan on getting a new stereo and Adrian Tailights & side markers

Might even try to get another who knows.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle
Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Car Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
1,997 Posts
If you wanna go with looks over function, that's your choice. For me, I'd recommend new spings & dampers all around nothing big time, small step can be a big improvement in control. Add a bolt-on rear sway bar for even better on-throttle control. Depending on the the previous owner's oil maintenance, the timing chain guides may be worn. Water pump maintenance @ 100K miles? Brake lines ever flushed (safety/preventive)? Cold air intake + exhaust would really help dial in the fun factor, the OE mapping can reasonably adjust to the mods. A tune will tweak fuel economy/performance, but only a small bit. Internals can take a minor upping of power, nothing wild. Go with upgraded brake hardware when needed. OE sux! Semi-metalic or ceramic friction parts. It's usually easier to use Cobalt to request mechanicals, Pontiac for styling parts.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'Gremlin' the 07 G5GT (913L)
140 Posts
Welcome to the Club! 2x on the intake + exhaust, it improves throttle response alot vs stock. 2x on Maintenance too, its the key to keeping these engines running.
I'd recommend traction bars and rotated engine mounts in addition to the other ride quality mods. And if you feel like melting some tires, you might be able to do a M62 setup

·
Super Moderator
1,997 Posts
Oo! I forgot about engine mounts! Sh*t-load of wheel hop action on stock can be mostly subdued by replacing the rubber pucks in the fore/aft bottom mounts with polyurethane disks. Note, cabin vibrations and engine noise WILL be slightly elevated, but the front wheels won't be as prone to hopping when they spin.

·
Premium Member
12,894 Posts
Welcome? What are these Adrian taillights you speak of? I don't know of any aftermarket taillights for the coupe. Where in Minnesota are you from? I used to live in Rochester, and I work in Winona.

·
Super Moderator
1,997 Posts
I always imagined the stock G5 tail light should've had an integral turn signal light, other than the main bulb. As a small circle on the outside edge, or along the entire edge; a crescent. But for $500-$600 a pair? Nope. True, there is some crafting involved that may warrant that value. Still, nope.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.