G5 Club banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I go to school from 8-3 and my dad works from 3-11 I can only drive his explorer on the weekends.

I am teaching myself how to drive stick, its a 4-speed with a 5th gear overdrive.

Ive pretty much got the hang of driving around in neighborhoods, but I havent taken it out into traffic yet, and I KEEP FRIGGING KILLING IT ON 75% OF MY STARTS FROM A STOP!!!!!!

I cant seem to get the right transition from releasing the clutch and accelerating yet, I always kill it, ALWAYS!

Here is what I have learned so far---

1. Dont downshift to slow down unless you want to, its easier to replace brake pads than a tranny, plus its harder on your engine since your using the engine to stop.

2. ALWAYS use the clutch to brake if your stopping completely, if you just use the brake, as soon as you stop the thing dies.

3.Shifting from 2nd to 4th is NOT fun.

4. Shifting from 3rd to 1st is also NOT fun.

5. If you coasting to a stop sign, put it in neutral.

Thats all I have taught myself so far, just thought I would share lol.

The explorer has a lot of torque and really likes to go fast when I tell it to, but I havent burned the tires yet, I am assuming put the e-brake on and rev the engine, pop the clutch, and go through gears like its your job.

I have mastered everything except trying to drive it with all the other idiots who think they are good drivers (theyre not)

Why do they think us car junkies own the road, when we think they dont even know what a road is??? ITS DOUBLE YELLOW FOR A REASON DUMBASS!!!!!!! sorry lol.

Let me know any other tips from you other stick drivers.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I never downshift into first, the gear is to short.
As for stalling, it just takes practice for some to get it.
Don't pull a ricer move and powershift. It just hurts your car and you look retarded.

That's all I got for now.

·
Registered
830 Posts
yah I learned how to drive standard on the way home from the pontiac dealership ... I first drove stick on a civic I test drove :lol: But actually taught myself on my G5. Soooo easy to learn ... just don't have someone in the seat beside you lecturing you the whole time because it's just nerve wracking.

·
'07 Black GT Coupe
2,400 Posts
coasting to a stop in neutral it's not always the good thing to do, let's day you're slowing down and the light turns green again, what gear do you put it back in?

what if you need to make an emergency maneuver? it's not very safe to do, but it doesn't mean that I don't do it myself :lol:

I learned on the way home from the dealership too, I stalled once, when parking at home! :lol:

but our cars are very easy to drive, you don't even need to give it gas, just be slow when you release the clutch, go that the first times to get used to the feel, if you do that in the traffic then people behind you will think you're slow to get off the line!

then gradually start putting some gas, trick is to "balance" the revs and the pedals

i.e. you start with clutch depressed and no gas

then start releasing the clutch and giving a bit more gas to keep revs steady

a bit less clutch and a bit more gas

then you're completely off the clutch and you can mash the throttle! :lol:

I'm starting to rev-match my downshifts, and want to keep learning heel and toe, this isn't that easy with our stupid pedal placement!

·
Registered
830 Posts
i tend to rev a little bit and slowly let off the clutch... most of the time i have a perfect balance of gas and letting off the clutch.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
When it comes to starting, feather the clutch. Basically give it a little throttle to keep it at 1200 rpm. Let off the clutch very slowly until the car starts to creep, once it creeps, give it a little bit more gas while continuing to come off of the clutch.

It'll take a bit to get used to, but you'll get it.

For awhile, I had to use the EBrake to keep from rolling backward on a hill... after about a month, I've gotten so used to feathering the clutch that it doesn't even appear that I have a manual trans when starting off when sitting on a hill. I rarely even touch the ebrake now except when parking the car.

But yeah, definately shy away from powershifting. Clutch in, change gear, and clutch out while starting a bit on the gas, but don't give it too much gas.

Engine braking won't hurt your car. Technically it is active whenever you let your foot off the accelerator without putting the clutch in. The real problem comes with the fact that your brake lights won't light up when not touching the brake pedals... :shock:

#2 is true with a manual trans. The car will stall if you do not disconnect the engine from the wheels when stopped.

#3 I will agree with because it will kill your acceleration... But I do skip on upshifts if I'm trying to save fuel.

#4 I will 100% agree there... lol. When it comes to downshifting, skipping gears is not good unless you know what you are doing. For example, when I'm on the highway, I usually have it into 5th, but if I pass, I pop the throttle and put it into third (Popping the throttle for revmatch while clutching...). This way, I have higher rpm for passing.

#5 When coasting to a stop, I put it in first while keeping the clutch to the floor. When I stop, then I'm ready to start again.

·
Registered
830 Posts
when stopping i either gear down, or just throw it into neutral... it depends on my mood :p throwing into neutral and getting back into gear is easy once you get the hang of it ... i find with my car certain speeds call for certain gears :p

·
Banned
3,377 Posts
As for rule #1, it's a good thing to follow if you're unexperienced I think, you have to make sure you don't just down shift and let the clutch back in, giving the engine a little gas with the clutch in to bring the revs up high enough for the lower gear is key, if you can downshift without lurching, you're doing it fine.

I would suggest not downshifting lower than third gear, some would say period, though I sometimes will downshift as low as first, again without lurching the car, it's all about knowing where to rev it to, the lower the gear, the more you're going to have to rev and the less room there is for error (IE: over revving).

Oh and the worst thing to do learning to drive stick is to use the tach. Learn by feel.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I usually shift between 2k and 2500, but I rarely use the tach unless im gonna slow down, and start going again, I look at the tach to guestimate what gear to use, usually depending on the stop or slow down, I will either put it in 2nd or 3rd, 2nd being the harder stop.

after thinking about it, I rarely put it in neutral when coming to a stop unless I am the first car.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
btw.. practice starting first gear with out touching the gas at all.... let of the clutch very slowly and the car will move on its own. once you have perfected that you will have no problems.

·
Super Moderator
1,938 Posts
^^^x2. I've helped a few people out this way. Let the engine recover being loaded by itself, save using the gas for later. Resist the urge to 'drop' the clutch the rest of the way when you feel it start to catch, keep feathering it in gradually until it's fully engaged. Drive around the open lot and shift into 2nd, and maybe 3rd even. Still, don't use the gas yet. You can let the clutch out a little faster for these shifts. Stop often and start over. Once you can start in first real smooth, then you can begin to use the gas for real. These G5 cars are on the quiet side and I had to learn how/when to shift from scratch all over again. I was used to go by the sound of the engine. Now, I had to go by feel instead.

·
Banned
3,377 Posts
DartBaron said:
These G5 cars are on the quiet side and I had to learn how/when to shift from scratch all over again. I was used to go by the sound of the engine. Now, I had to go by feel instead.
QFT.

I also noticed it's a pretty forgiving car with the electronic throttle control.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mind you I am practicing on a 95 ford explorer, little bit different from a g5 lol.

Ill try that let the clutch out without gas sometime, I am going out of town this weekend, so I wont get to practice til monday.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I agree with Tank all standards are different. Older cars are also harder to drive than newer cars. In my 91 240sx, I would shift at 3K, where the G5 needs to shift between 2.5K and 3k. As for taking off, I agree with most of the above comments. Practice taking off without using any gas or very little gas. The best way to learn to take off smoother is to practice on a hill where there is no traffic. Thats how I taught my GF to drive my car.

Learn to drive before you learn to race. If you cant shift smooth when you're just driving, you're going to fuck something up when you're trying to race. Driving a stick is about grace, be gentle with your car and treat her like you want to keep your car more than a day. The best way to perfect a smooth shift during regular driving is to try to slowly let off the gas before you engage the clutch,shift, then slowly let off the clutch and engage the clutch. That way, you won't jerk your passengers all over the car when you're driving.

Engine breaking will wear your shit out. Especially if you're trying to use the engine for most of your braking power.

As far as comming to a stop, learn which gear the car needs to be at what speeds. When you're breaking, leave the car in neutral and hold the clutch, if you need to take off before a complete stop, you'll know the proper gear to shift into to regain speed.

·
Banned
3,377 Posts
tank said:
all cars are different ... just go test drive a g5 :lol:
haha I'm sure the dealer thought I couldn't drive standard when I went to test drive, I would bog the engine, then the throttle controller would beat me to the stall out and the car would really go flying with both computer and user inputs haha. Like I noticed on our cars, you can put it in first and let the clutch out at a normal rate and it usually wont stall, it'll sound like hell, but it wont stall.

I remember I got into a big Freightliner to move out of the way for another truck shortly after I got my G5, and I stalled the truck out twice trying to get it going. I sure as hell couldn't drive my old Mazda without a little cable clutch learning again.

·
Banned
3,377 Posts
th0ughtless said:
Engine breaking will wear your shit out. Especially if you're trying to use the engine for most of your braking power.
Oh and for the record, I disagree if done smoothly.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
denlou said:
th0ughtless said:
Oh and for the record, I disagree if done smoothly.
Well, if done lightly. If you shift down 2 or 3 gears to slow your car you're begging for a new tranny, but yea, if you shift down 1, maybe 2 gears below your speed and feather the clutch, you're not wearing at the tranny too much..

Just forget down shifting till you're experienced enough

·
PSD=PostSaturnDepression
826 Posts
Feathering the clutch will also wear it out, but the best thing to do is just drive it, find it out for yourself. Everyone can give you the how to's, but when it comes to it, you have to learn on your own right? Thats how I did it and 6 yrs later, never replaced a clutch yet. :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts