G5 Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'ello

I plan on making a minor modification to my car over my 3 day weekend. I want to replace the lock pins on the door with LED's, ala The Transporter 2 :)

Couple of questions though, mostly related to actual wiring. I had plans on hooking them up to the same wiring in the door panel that feeds the automatic door locks. I'm guessing this circuit is completed whenever you use the internal buttons to lock/unlock the door.

I'm fairly new to wiring, but I can understand a circuit no problem, and without actually cutting into wires I wanted to see if my plans could actually bear fruition before hand.

So my first question is this: Unlocking from the drivers side will obviously complete the circuit on the drivers side. Will that also complete the circuit on the passenger side? Basically the same question, but with regards to our remote keyless entry. I'm guessing that it won't even complete the circuit at all.

Just typing out the questions I have a feeling that my initial idea of hooking it up to the wiring by the lock/unlock switch won't work. Any other ideas where I can hook them up to? I only want them to come on (Flash sort of) when the door is locking or unlocking. So they won't have to have a continuous power source.

·
Registered
407 Posts
why not loop them into the power window wires, they will have power all the time, you wont have to worry, unless they are only suppose to turn on at a certain time, locked or unlocked, which i am now thinking you mean, but cant remember transporter 2 lol

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Power windows would work. Not sure if always on is what I want to go for though. Not sure if that's going to attract too much attention to the car from people who can write tickets. I'll have to ask them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think a relay is what you'll need.

A friend of mine wired in a relay and when he unlocked the door, the windows went down, when he locked them, the windows went up.

I don't know anything about wiring a relay, but it would do the trick to light up the lights when you lock and unlock.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I posted a couple times on this. It was during the board crash so there was two copies floating around I think :)

I didn't set it up to roll the windows down. Currently the lights are on whenever my foglights or my interior lights come on. Looking for a way to get them to flash when the car is unlocked or locked, but alas I'm not overly familiar with wiring so it's on a back burner for right now.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was actually thinking of hooking it up to the door lock motor. But because the current reverses depending on if you're locking or unlocking I ran into a problem as the ground keeps changing and diodes only accept current in one direction.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts