G5 Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am looking at a Pontiac G5 at local dealership, AS-IS for really cheap and am wondering if it could turn into a money pit. The steering wheel makes a quiet noise when you make a full turn, and the rust I have pictures of, and the tires have little tread left. I don't care about the cosmetic part of the rust I just want a cheap A to B. It is 2009 G5 with 174k KM no accidents.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 G5 GT in Fusion Orange. Lightly modded
85 Posts
It may not look too bad, but that is a LOT of rust-especially on these cars. I guarantee, judging by how far gone that rocker is, there is rust extending into the subframe.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yea, that one spot looks about as bad as mine, so you likely have 0 rocker panels. If you know how to weld, new rockers are only ~$70 a side. If u do redo them though, rip off those plastic skirts because they LOVE to hold water

·
Registered
14 Posts
In Canada that kind of rust is probably normal on used cars considering the amount of snow and salt they have on the roads. If I was you, I'd bring someone with more experience mechanically speaking and a OBD scan tool to check for codes. I would keep looking, at that price might be tempting but understand there might be issues with that, the dealer will then pass on to you. Hence the discounted price that was appealing to you in the first place.

·
Registered
2007 Pontiac G5 Coupe
12 Posts
In Canada that kind of rust is probably normal on used cars considering the amount of snow and salt they have on the roads. If I was you, I'd bring someone with more experience mechanically speaking and a OBD scan tool to check for codes. I would keep looking, at that price might be tempting but understand there might be issues with that, the dealer will then pass on to you. Hence the discounted price that was appealing to you in the first place.
It depends on where in Canada a bit too. In BC I don't think they actually salt the roads. Me looking at that without seeing the rest of the car makes me think it wasn't really taken care of.

Definitely check everything else over and go test drive it if possible. I do understand that it's OP's first car and he's excited about it but I just hope that it lasts.

~BONzi

1 - 7 of 7 Posts