G5 Club banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you know, the 07 G5 GT gets 25-32 mpg. When i push the info button on my steering wheel it says im getting 18 mpg. In short, i filled up my tank friday 42 bucks). Now its sunday night and I have quarter of a tank! Does anyone else have this problem? What did you do to fix it.

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
Its all that extra drag from your wing.

I'm actually sort of serious. That angle of attack is pretty steep, and there is alot of drag coming from that.

·
Super Moderator
12,861 Posts
Its all that extra drag from your wing.

I'm actually sort of serious. That angle of attack is pretty steep, and there is alot of drag coming from that.
Definately some truth to this.

I also agree with checking your tire pressure, and fixing your driving habits.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought that increased performance....dammit. And you guys probably are right, ill drive somewhat fast but I didnt think that would make a difference. Ill also check my air filter

·
2+2= <*)))><
12,521 Posts
Don't take my statement about slowing down as a shot at you or something. Just that for every 5 mph you slow down your fuel economy increases by something like 10% if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I'm always at around 18 mpg.. Changed from sri to cai with my injen and now I'm at 20 mpg.. So get an injen cai :D

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
something is wrong for sure, how much mileage is on your car? it should be seeing upwards of 27-30, also are you resetting the mpg button for a fresh reading. and how hard are you driving it? my 4wd is getting better economy by 3-4mpg then you...

we should seriously enforce a metric only rule on this forum. can we look into that people. please...

My brother recently average 40mpg or jsut a hair over 5L/100km for us regular folks, out of my 2.4L (with turbo) doing 110 from edmonton to vancouver. so it is doable to get good mileage out of these cars

·
So Delicious !
5,272 Posts
Spirited in town driving 19
Freeway cruising 36-40

Drive like an egg is on the accel pedal and don't break it,
it gets better if you drive good like said above.

·
Registered
17,069 Posts
Everyone here is wise :)

Also, it would really help if you started from a full tank of gas and then calculated your mileage on the next fill up. Most accurate reading ever.

·
Super Moderator
12,861 Posts
Newer G5's had an "instantaneous fuel economy" gauge, but your 2007 does not. If you want to experiment with your driving habits to see exactly how your driving can affect your fuel economy, reset the gauge often and keep an eye on it. See what kind of mileage you get going up a hill, driving around town, on a flat stretch of highway with a tail wind, etc.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Newer G5's had an "instantaneous fuel economy" gauge, but your 2007 does not. If you want to experiment with your driving habits to see exactly how your driving can affect your fuel economy, reset the gauge often and keep an eye on it. See what kind of mileage you get going up a hill, driving around town, on a flat stretch of highway with a tail wind, etc.
I wish i had the instantainious gauge, would make everything so huch easier. How do I reset o___0

·
Super Moderator
12,861 Posts
I wish i had the instantainious gauge, would make everything so huch easier. How do I reset o___0
You know the button you use to scroll through mpg, temp, odometer, fuel range, etc? Scroll through until it shows the mpg reading, and then press and hold the button next to it. You do the same to reset the two trip meters as well as the average speed.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Another thing to also think about is that fuel ratings from the dealer are HIGHLY inaccuarte. I work for toyota building the rav4 and these are some of the techniques they use to provide "milage ratings"

First they use super high octane fuel (115) and only 1/8 a tank to minimize weight.
Milage tests are done on a 100% flat test track on optimal weather days. Temperture, humidity, barometric pressure and so on.
Speed is also a huge factor. City rating is done at 40km/h with a complete stop perfomed every three minutes and highway is done at 80km/h with no stops, sorry not sure what this works out to be for americans.

So what I'm trying to say is, using 87 octane gas, realistic driving habits, and fluctations in weather and weight all play a factor in your fuel milage. You will never get the same rating as the manufacturer unless you do performance upgrades and weight reductions.

As for your spoiler, it does add to your performance in only 1 sense. Spoilers are designed to add or decrease down force at HIGH speeds (150km/h +). Using downforce adds pressure to help keep the car planted on the ground. This increases traction and stability but at the same time creates huge drag lowering your top speed. Decreasing the downforce aids in lifting the weight of the car off the ground making the car have less drag and increasing top speed but at the loss of control as the car will handle more losely.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you sir, You just taught me somethings i didnt know about car dealers.

So my pontiac was doin 12 mpg today
I took off my spoiler and drove for an hour...my car was readying 27 MPG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
Thank you sir, You just taught me somethings i didnt know about car dealers.

So my pontiac was doin 12 mpg today
I took off my spoiler and drove for an hour...my car was readying 27 MPG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And you just learned something about aerodynamics.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts