G5 Club banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this is long but read it all.

This is just something for reference for beginners starting, those who are new to the site, or those whole are lazy and don't wanna use the search function.

Basically just a FAQ/Tutorial on lowering a Cobalt/G5 in specifics.

The only way you will get anything out of this is by reading it in full and asking questions if needed. The way of the world is trial and error as well as learning from others mistakes.

To start off, the suspension is the main thing that SUSPENDS your car in the air with the base being the wheels and tires. There are the 4 points that touch ground. Suspension arms, struts, springs, shocks, and twist beam are all components that help keep the car up off the ground/road. These parts are also controlled so the inside components of the car (aka you and the passenger(s) are not shaken nutty.)

This post will cover a few points that are now frequently asked and give explanations and or proof in form of logic, or quotes.

Starting off, WHAT SHOULD I CHOOSE? WHATS THE BEST?

Firstly, BEST? Drop that word from you vocab. Seriously, Obviously, what's best.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I read half of it and the half I read made sense :p
I know my cars not gonna see any lowering kit for a long time. Stock height doesn't look bad with 17 or 18 inch rims.

Thanks for the info Farfromnormal.

·
Resident Troll
5,921 Posts
if the cobalt and g5 are mechanically the same (from what i hear) why does eibach make g5 springs that are 1.0/1.3, and cobalt that are 1.6/1.8 and 2.0/2.5.

i guess my question is why would they make g5 and cobalt specific springs with different drops when they should be interchangeable (or are they not)?

·
Registered
63 Posts
g5mike said:
i had the sportlines and now I have the canuckmotorsports,the canucks ones are better.
i have the canucks to and i find them great and i think i might get some konis in sept or maybe i'll just wait until the winter cause my car only gets used one week a month now.

·
Registered
493 Posts
karnivor said:
if the cobalt and g5 are mechanically the same (from what i hear) why does eibach make g5 springs that are 1.0/1.3, and cobalt that are 1.6/1.8 and 2.0/2.5.

i guess my question is why would they make g5 and cobalt specific springs with different drops when they should be interchangeable (or are they not)?
Eibach makes the pro-kit and the sportline kit,each set has a different drop,the pro-kit has less of a drop but are a more firm spring

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think he is asking why the drop is more for the Cobalt - Yes, they are interchangable, but you have to remember, that there are more options available when purchasing the G5. The Cobalt does not offer the SE.

Anyways, the Eibach springs for the G5 are not for the GT - that rating is for the base and SE model. You may want to ask Eibach that question, they may be able to give you a more specific answer to your question.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
farfrmnormal said:
I think he is asking why the drop is more for the Cobalt - Yes, they are interchangable, but you have to remember, that there are more options available when purchasing the G5. The Cobalt does not offer the SE.

Anyways, the Eibach springs for the G5 are not for the GT - that rating is for the base and SE model. You may want to ask Eibach that question, they may be able to give you a more specific answer to your question.
Check the website it says Including the GT. THe ones for the SS are listed at 1.0 and 1.3 as well.

·
Resident Troll
5,921 Posts
i just called eibach and the guy said that if you buy the cobalt pro kit or the g5 pro kit, that that you will get the same springs. he said the difference in drops is because although they have the same chassis the cobalt weighs more therefore compressing the springs more.

as for the other brands of springs, has anyone had good luck with something that lowers around 1.5 inches? if so can i get some linkage to some sites please.

·
Resident Troll
5,921 Posts
im asking for an opinion from everyone. i called belle tire (a big tire/suspension chain in my area) for a quote on eibach springs installed. i can get the pro kit for 200usd through them but install will be like 200 plus allignment for 80. this is just rough specific prices because it includes tax and everything.

so its 480usd out the door. this seems like a bit much to me but i dont know so im asking what u guys think

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
karnivor said:
im asking for an opinion from everyone. i called belle tire (a big tire/suspension chain in my area) for a quote on eibach springs installed. i can get the pro kit for 200usd through them but install will be like 200 plus allignment for 80. this is just rough specific prices because it includes tax and everything.

so its 480usd out the door. this seems like a bit much to me but i dont know so im asking what u guys think
The labor on struts is always expensive. That sounds about right to me for all of it.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
th0ughtless said:
karnivor said:

The labor on struts is always expensive. That sounds about right to me for all of it.
Hes not getting struts.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you don't install lowering springs yourself its going to be expensive. Thats why I suggest you WAIT till you can afford to do it right. Then you aren't paying for labor twice.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts