G5 Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2005 Pontiac Pursuit (the Canadian version of the G5), 4 doors, 150 000km, 2.2L and I want to do some cleaning and maintenance work myself next month. A do it yourself project for me, so I can learn more about my car. I am not a car expert, I am mechanically inclined and willing to spend time on it..

Coolant service: I want to remove the current Dex-Cool coolant completely and put in new coolant (still Dex-Cool). The owner's manual only talks about topping more coolant, not flushing it completely.. I have read online about flushing procedures of the coolant but I could not find an article specific to the 2005 Pursuit (G5). My coolant temperature is normal but this I still want to do it because it is old.

Plugs: I want change the spark plugs, they are stock. I do not suspect the current plugs to be faulty but I want to change them anyways because they are old. I already bought iridium replacements.

Cleaning: I want to clean the air control valve, throttle body & air flow sensor. Why, because my check engine light came on and the code is due to the fuel mixture running too lean (I got the "knock" code too). I have felt nothing different in my car's behavior since the code came up so I suspect it is a minor issue. I have been putting fuel injector cleaners in the gas tank from time to time before this code ever came up so these will not help. After the cleaning, if the problem persists, I will have the fuel injectors undergo ultrasonic cleaning at a shop.

Now my questions:

- (1) How many liters of Dex-cool should I buy? Sounds silly but I actually do not know, I assume 7 liters... They come already pre-mixed so no additional water is necessary.

- (2) I will do the coolant flush myself for the very first time, how difficult was it for those who tried it before? Any special advise or strong warning?

- (3) While changing the spark plugs, any advise on additional things I should look for that would be good to do but also easy and simple for a regular guy?

- (4) I want to change the fuel filter myself too, not the oil filter (that is done regularly with the oil changes), how difficult was it to those who have tried it before? It seems simple to me when reading about it.

- (5) Anything else that can be a reasonable do-it-yourself maintenance that I should consider doing with a 150 000km 2005 Pursuit (G5)?

Thank you very much for you input!

·
Registered
75 Posts
The spark plugs are really easy. Just becareful when removing the coil pack that you dont loose the spring and fuse. Other then that just unbolt the coil pack and pull off, itll be snug, and take out the plug, replace with gapped new plug, hand tighten and replace coil pack. Dont forget to check air filters (cabin and motor). As for the throttle body, I havent done it on my car yet but I would do the same as on my truck, just remove plastic housing to expose and spray with motor off and clean what you can see with carb cleaner and then start motor (will be a rough start at first) and then spray butterflies underside when revving motor. May not be the most proper way of cleaning but I find it works well and I like to think that spraying while revving helps clean deeper.

·
#low
1,537 Posts
Buy the concentrated coolant and buy the distilled/dionized water to mix with it, much more cost effective. iirc you could probably go for one jug of concentrated mixed with one jug of water (around 7.5-8 litres)(But ask someone at the parts store/dealership to be sure). Do the flush and thermostat at the same time, might as well while its in there. Since your sticking with DEX-Cool (I dont know why but its your car) Than you dont need to fully flush out everything, just drain and refill and youll get most of the stuff out. There is a thread on here about changing the fuel filter, being in canada i doubt you have a Cali car, but if you do they are in tank fuel filters. Other than that they are just in front of the tank and really easy to do. Replace spark plugs with Ac-Delco plugs, in my opinion they are the best plugs you can run in a GM car, if you dont want to dish out the money, go NGK iridiums. Use MAF sensor cleaner on the MAF and nothing else, Throttle body cleaner actually coats it and makes the cond worse. TB/Carb cleaner for the throttle body, make sure not to push the TB open yourself since weve got a drive by wire configuration and it will damage things. If you really want to make sure your injectors are clean without paying big bucks, put some Seafoam in the tank as opposed to FIC, it works better trust me, other than that i would maybe suggest doing what i did and buying a digital copy of the FACTORY service manual from ebay, its like $30 and its the best $30 ive ever spent.

·
#low
1,537 Posts
And considering i just did my Sway bar endlinks today, be prepared to fight with them if they are original equipment, My car has 75,000km on it, and they were a bitch, i ended up grinding the top bolt off on both of them because the backing bolt on it stripped way to easy, GM used a really thin 17mm on the back that rounds off with ease. Bottom ones gave me a bit less of a problem but my popping noise is gone.

·
#low
1,537 Posts
Most reasonable shops can dispose of coolant for you, but its only around $80 to have a flush done and that includes the new coolant. I still plan to have mine done to get rid of the Dex-Cool and put some ordinary green stuff in. I really dont like the dex-cool stuff personally, ive seen way to many intake gaskets go because of that crap.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Based on your responses, having a quick lube or a shop flush the coolant may be best, it could get messy.. I think I'll do that then..
Cabin and engine air filters were changed last fall but I will check them.
If anyone had a similar fuel mixture being too lean problem and found a solution, I'm all ears!

tuppenyturtle,

Thanks for your input, I was going to keep Dex-Cool because that is what GM calls for. I have done some reading and the problems seem to arise with cars having low coolant level and also on bigger engines too, not my case. I will seriously think about changing to ordinary antifreeze, I'll read more online. I will get the Haynes manual for the 2005 Pursuit, that should good. I will try SeaFoam this spring and see what happens.

toolman,

Your thread about the plugs is great, thanks a lot! That, I will probably do first, maybe mid April.

Thanks guys!

·
#low
1,537 Posts
See if you cant find the factory manual, its a lot more in-depth than the haynes manual, and it includes TSBs.

I think they may have re-formulated dex cool since they lost lawsuits over it, but i still dont trust it personally.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello to all,

tuppenyturtle: I did not find any factory manual, I ordered the Haynes manual from Amazon, it should come by the end of the month.

The spark plugs were changed and the car ran fine right afterwards so I am happy with that. The MAF and throttle body were cleaned, the car started real rough and died afterwards but after starting it again ran fine since. Black soot was on them but I do not think they were massively dirty enough to cause real problems or a lean fuel mixture.

All the old spark plugs look similar, with a brown / reddish look on the insulator, not gross looking, I looked online and as far as I can tell they seem to show normal wear. I hope changing them will solve my lean mixture problem... probably not.

I uploaded pictures of the plugs here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

The coolant, man.... The drain screw or plug could not be found, I will go flush it at some lube shop or a mechanic, have them use the machine and I will replace the Dex-Cool with regular coolant. I have a oil change due next month, I'll see if I can negotiate a discount on the combo service.

The fuel filter: did not see it at all. I will try again next weekend. I asked someone at Canadian Tire and they said maybe it is located above the gas tank, can anyone confirm this on a 2005 Pontiac Pursuit? Seeing how they "recommend" changing fuel filter yearly or at every 20 000km, putting it above the heavy gas tank sounds completely crazy to me.

I do not know what else I can do myself for maintenance service on my car...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm.. I guess posting a photo link is not allowed.

Anyone can point me where the fuel filter is located on a 2005 Pontiac Pursuit? I tried last weekend but could only change the spark plugs and do some cleaning.

Thank you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts