G5 Club banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
zoom zoom!
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the last thread about some cosmetic changes I made, I mentioned "more coming soon". Well, UPS finally came by yesterday with the new goodies (but my wonderful boyfriend went and picked it up today).

Anyways, I bought, and installed (k, that's a lie, Jordie installed it while I was at work tonight) a new ECU for my 2007 G5 GT.

all I can say is WOW! you can really feel the power, and well worth it. I would elaborate more, but I'm fing tired, and only drove it for 20 minutes after work.

More top end, higher rev limiter, and apparently supposed to give better fuel economy (ha... with power, I dunno about it getting better, but ah well), more everything. Great purchase all around! :)

I bought it through vectormotorsports.com, and got here a week later.
here's the link
http://www.vectormotorsports.com/in...facturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=28

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm always up for working on cars, even if opening the hood is the hardest part of swapping out the ECU. :p

The car feels much stronger, and does some mad burnouts, I would say the toped benefited the most, its pulls hard right to 7000RPM.

Having the Dash Hawk made the install much easier because It saved a trip to the dealer for the CASE learn, and unlike my car the G5's don’t need a clutch position relearn.

We'll see about fuel economy, if you can keep a normal foot you should see a slight increase.

·
'07 Black GT Coupe
2,400 Posts
cool keep us updated on how you like it

I'm interested in getting that but I'd keep the stock ECU in case something goes wrong so it gets expensive..

stupid question but where is our ecu located?

is this your first mod?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Renesis said:

I'm interested in getting that but I'd keep the stock ECU in case something goes wrong so it gets expensive..

is this your first mod?
You can find stock ECU's on car-parts.com for pretty cheap and the one you send away DOES NOT need to be just for G5's you can use pretty much any GM ECU from 2007 UP just make sure it is the same part number as yours. The reason being is the ECU itself is exactly the same from car to car, its just the programming that’s different, but if your sending it in to get reprogrammed it doesn’t matter. Just and FYI however, I've been running aftermarket ECU's for 5 years now, and I've never had an issue there after. The risk of something going wrong is the same as the stock ECU. That being said, I still have my stock ECU because in the winter months I would rather not have to run 94 octane.

·
'07 Black GT Coupe
2,400 Posts
blackriderg6 said:
Renesis said:

is this your first mod?
You can find stock ECU's on car-parts.com for pretty cheap and the one you send away DOES NOT need to be just for G5's you can use pretty much any GM ECU from 2007 UP just make sure it is the same part number as yours. The reason being is the ECU itself is exactly the same from car to car, its just the programming that’s different, but if your sending it in to get reprogrammed it doesn’t matter. Just and FYI however, I've been running aftermarket ECU's for 5 years now, and I've never had an issue there after. The risk of something going wrong is the same as the stock ECU. That being said, I still have my stock ECU because in the winter months I would rather not have to run 94 octane.
I'd have it tuned for 91 octane since we can't get 94 here

but yeah before I take it to the dealer and in the winter (when you don't need the extra grunt) it'd be nice to have the stock one to put it back on.

they charge $200 for the ECU how much would it be from somewhere else? does the 2.2 use the same one as the 2.4?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Renesis said:
blackriderg6 said:
Renesis said:

is this your first mod?
I'd have it tuned for 91 octane since we can't get 94 here

but yeah before I take it to the dealer and in the winter (when you don't need the extra grunt) it'd be nice to have the stock one to put it back on.

they charge $200 for the ECU how much would it be from somewhere else? does the 2.2 use the same one as the 2.4?
Yes, however the programing is different, here is what you do. Search for one on car-parts.com, once you get it, send it into vector and they'll program it with they're calibration of the 2.4 tune and send it back to you. Or you can pay the 200 dollar core charge and once you get the ECU from Vector you can send in the one you get of car-parts.com or wherever you get it from.

·
zoom zoom!
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Renesis said:

is this your first mod?
no, I have an ingen intake as well.

I love it so far, and have no regrets. seems as though I have to pay a bit more attention when starting at a light, or up a hill, etc. idunno if I'm driving differently (I don't think I am), but the tires are slipping every so often (not sure how else to describe it). happens mostly in the rain, and didn't do it before. maybe cause there's not 9k on the car/tires?

·
'07 Black GT Coupe
2,400 Posts
as you have the dashhawk did you do some comparision runs 0-100 and 1/4 mile vs stock?

if not could you post your tuned times as a reference? I'm waiting for my hawk to arrive and it'd be a good comparision to see if it's worth it!

·
PSD=PostSaturnDepression
826 Posts
You should have it dynoed to see your hp an tq, I am interested in those ECU since I had my Ion, wonder how it would be on an auto though?

·
PSD=PostSaturnDepression
826 Posts
What kind of gains are you talking? They claim 15hp at the wheels.... I want to know if its true or not. 8)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts