G5 Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I'm looking to hook up an MP3 player (Sony PSP) to the factory radio in my 2006 pursuit.

I tried using an FM modulator but the quality is just terrible. I want to do a direct connection and I don't want to pay like $300 for buying a whole new deck. I tried looking in the manual that came with the car for help but its totally useless. Is there an advanced manual for the car's audio system out there anywhere?

I found this cool piece of work http://ipodcarparts.com/images/GM2Linstruct.pdf?osCsid=6ea8630418504fa705cbcec3cbcf8190 but its a bit too pricey ($200) and hardcore for what I'm looking for. I was hoping there'd be a cable I could use that plugs into the radio at 1 end and the 3.5mm MP3 player at the other. Even if it replaces the XM satelite radio so that when I select XM radio on the stereo it uses the MP3 player, that'd be fine.

Any help pointing me in the right direction would be AMAZING! I tried talking to the guys at my local car audio shop (Factory Auto Sound) and they just wanted to sell me a new deck and advanced FM modulator.

Thanks guys!

-Mike

·
Premium Member
10,371 Posts
that's pretty lame. id suggest an aftermarket deck then with an aux input or mp3 input jack on it. or switch out for a 07+ radio

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good stuff guys, thanks for the quick reply! You lucky '07/08s get that stock :O... nice! So should I just call around town to those mechanics shops with junk yards attached looking for '07 G5 radios? How much do you think that'll run me and will all those steering wheel controls still work you think?

In case that fails, is there some sort of advanced technical booklet for the stock radio? -This has to exist somewhere, otherwise how did the guys who created that iPOD connector (http://ipodcarparts.com/images/GM2Linstruct.pdf?osCsid=6ea8630418504fa705cbcec3cbcf8190) know how to interface with the system!?

Thanks again guys, this site is an awesome resource!

-Mike

·
Registered
407 Posts
just call all junk yards and have the tools ready to go remove the radio when you find one, that will probably be the fastest and cheapest solution for you. Make sure you ask for both G5's and Cobalts as there will probably be more Balts in the yards than G5's I am guessing.

·
Super Moderator
1,939 Posts
Yeah, once you find an updated radio, you'll need a dealership to reflash your BCM/head unit to work right. They shouldn't charge you too much, it's a quick fix. I'd suggest you leave the radio unconnected, yet left in place for them to work on it. If you hook it up before any flash work, you might foul up something.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
I have the stock 07 deck w/6cd changer sitting in my closet if you can't find one locally :) That fm modulator you used was it a battery powered one or 12V? I had a cheap battery powered one in my old car and it worked like pure crap! On the other hand I knew a guy who bought a 12V modulator for $40 bucks and did not have any problems with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Uh oh, this car is a lease... do you think they'd be cool with me flashing the BCM/head unit? Also, what do you mean by head unit & BCM.?.. I'm kinda new (I assume by head unit you mean the new stereo but I couldn't find BCM on google)

I knew a guy who bought a 12V modulator for $40 bucks and did not have any problems with it.
I have 2 12V modulators, one I bought, one from a friend. The one I bought called "Monster Cable RadioPlay Car Stereo Wireless FM Transmitter (MBL-FM XMTR)" was all staticy and not loud at all. The only time I could hear the music was with the windows closed & the stero's volume cranked to the maximum (even then I could talk louder then the radio). The other one I have is by Dynex and the volume is good but it gets unbearably staticy depending on what street you're on. And always the trebble and "s" sounds crackle. It's no way to listen to music!

I have the stock 07 deck w/6cd changer sitting in my closet if you can't find one locally
Are you willing to part with it? Send me an Email or add me to MSN/facebook if so for a price :)

·
Super Moderator
1,939 Posts
You may not be penalized, so long as it is an upgrade with all GM parts, is done totaly on your dime with no reimbursement, and doesn't violate the wording of the lease. The BCM is the Body Control Module. Sorta like the Powertrain Control Module, but governs the cabin stuff like locks, radio, lights, windows, etc. May not have it due to model year, I'm not sure of the details here.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Aww that's too bad... back to the drawing board. Do you guys know where to find a technical booklet or engineering manual for the radio or bus anywhere (I'm lookin at you Dart) :).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts