G5 Club banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to decide what kind of exhaust to get. I've been back and forth with magnaflow and flowmaster. I never heard much of either on a small car, because most people in this area get either glass packs, straight pipes, or some auto zone BS. I've heard some cars over the net with magnaflow, and they sound barely above stock. Then of course, I got the chance to hear a G5 GT with magnaflow that sounded pretty good, but my car has a 2.2. Of course magnaflow is stainless, with a good warranty, blah blah blah, but what about sound? I want something thats loud, but sounds smooth. What would you guys think? Magnaflow or Flowmaster? or is there anything else?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I always liked my Ractive muffler. Never raspy, always a nice deep tone, no gargling noise to it...

$200 bucks, any exhaust shop will install it. I assume your stock piping is still in good shape.

dont waste your money on full cat back systems. any exhaust shop can weld you up what your looking for.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FuriouS said:
I always liked my Ractive muffler. Never raspy, always a nice deep tone, no gargling noise to it...

$200 bucks, any exhaust shop will install it. I assume your stock piping is still in good shape.

dont waste your money on full cat back systems. any exhaust shop can weld you up what your looking for.
Yea, I already had a quote for $250 to install 2.5 inch cat back. I'm just looking for a muffler really. Do you have a clip of your exhaust?

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
I like your 4banners, but they wherent made for exhaust. IMO they sound horrible, same thing with my V6.... the 3900 sounds like a big 4banner and just wasnt made for exhaust.... I had to take my exhaust off after having it for 4weeks on my car.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Dre said:
I like your 4banners, but they wherent made for exhaust. IMO they sound horrible, same thing with my V6.... the 3900 sounds like a big 4banner and just wasnt made for exhaust.... I had to take my exhaust off after having it for 4weeks on my car.
You had the GT-R right? The tone on mine changed quite a bit after a few weeks...maybe you should've waited

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
jnak said:
Dre said:
You had the GT-R right? The tone on mine changed quite a bit after a few weeks...maybe you should've waited
Yea I had the GT-R. Had it on for 4-5 weeks with about 500 miles-ish on it. I was expecting a much deeper tone. Everyone can say its a V6 and never will sound like one..... Well my 86 Ford 3.8L V6 had exhaust and people thought I had a 5.0L

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
^ that I didnt not know. People said sound will change a little but wasnt happy with it at the time. I just thought you get use to it over time and that was the change lol, I really didnt know it was the carbon that will change the tone over time. I learned something today! :)

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I saw your video before farfromnormal, and I also listened to the guys car with the flowmaster. The flowmaster sounds good up until the car hits high rpms, then it sounds like the car is blowing into a trash can. The magnaflow sounds great and its smooth. I went and found out a price for a magnaflow that would be best for my car. I might be getting it within the next few weeks. The guy also gave me a deal on the 2 inch pipe. He's going to cut the pipe before the resonator and install 2 inch pipe all the way back, but that'll be a lil wile after I get the muffler. I know farfromnormal says she didn't like the way her car sounded without the resonator, but since I have a different engine than her, im going to go ahead and try it and install one if it does sound bad. Thanks alot for your help guys and I'll keep ya posted.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I found a guy in town with a base model cobalt that 2.5 inch pipe cat-back with a magnaflow muffler. Nice and LOUD! Thats definitely the exhaust I'm going to get now that I was able to hear it on a 2.2 in person.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts