G5 Club banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed there is a TSB out for a musty smell upon startup.. especially with the A/C... they coat the coils with something... My last car was REALLY bad for this (06 wave), this car seems to have it a little bit... Anyone had this done or experience this also?

·
zoom zoom!
1,641 Posts
I was wondering if that was just my car that made that disgusting smell. I've used the A/C 4 times, and each time I've just stopped using it and opened the windows instead of making me sick to my stomach with the stench,

·
Registered
830 Posts
It's not my A/C that's doing it ... it's only when I don't have the car on A/C or the circulating air inside the vehicle choice haha.

·
Registered
649 Posts
^^ Yes there is - do you know how to get at it? But I have the smell as well. It goes away after I have been driving for a while - but is really bad if the car has been sitting for a couple days.

·
Registered
97 Posts
PursuitGT said:
Just so you all know there is a filter in the glove box that filters the air in the car. it could need a change.
Unless somehow a small animal such as a mouse has died on top of the filter, it's most likely not the filter.

Don't laugh at the small mouse suggestion either. I've seen it on multiple occasions in the shop.

Attachments

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
farfrmnormal said:
^^ Yes there is - do you know how to get at it? But I have the smell as well. It goes away after I have been driving for a while - but is really bad if the car has been sitting for a couple days.
It's easy.. I believe the instructions are in the manual.?? but you just have to get behind the glove box. Open up the glove box, and on the right hand side of it you can see the rubber stop. Just bend it away from the dash, and the glove box will open right up. Then just pop open the clip that holds that filter in, and make note of which way the filter direction arrows are pointing. Mine when I pulled it out was grey and black. It should be a pure white filter. I could only find a replacement at the dealer, about 30 bucks I think it was. No one else had it, or had it any cheaper at least. Remember, all air that goes through the vent (inside and outside air) goes through it.. so it will be get dirty and need replacement once in a while.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tank said:
I've only had my car for 5 months ... would the filter really need to be replaced that soon?
no.. it's in the maintenance schedule in your manual.. I don't remember how often it is suppposed to be done.. but at 30,000 KM this one was nasty.

·
Super Moderator
1,959 Posts
Yep, water letting 'stuff' stagnate and grow on/around the A/C coils. Try this: spray Lysol into the air return vent whilst on cabin re-circulate. Lysol will kill the 'stuff', plus give you a nice smell for a while.

·
zoom zoom!
1,641 Posts
PursuitGT said:
Just so you all know there is a filter in the glove box that filters the air in the car. it could need a change.
it did it after 4 months... that's not right. and it only happens when the A/C is on, which is rare (because of the smell, and I would rather the wind in my hair than dirty air in my face...)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's over under the glovebox there somewhere, not sure, I've never really tried to find it. I'll be getting them to take a look at the 'musty' thing. Not sure why they don't put this coating whatever it is on all the coils at the factory. It covers soooo many vehicles....

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Its GM, Do you expect them to think about fixing something at the factory ;)?

For example: The 3100/3400 V6 had a faulty LIM gasket for YEARS, but GM didn't get around to putting updated gaskets/bolts/torque spec on the engine until mid 2003.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts