G5 Club banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just finished washing the car at work (hehe, during lunch of course) and when I was putting on tire foam, I noticed a lovely indent in the middle of the sidewall through the whole radius of the tire. yay. Anyone know what would cause this? I wasn't riding in low pressure, however, the tire was previously plugged and oh yeah, it has another nail in it! LOL, well it's obviously deemed NFG so I'm getting it replaced ASAP. The dinger is the tire is $310! Ouch. Its 352.87 + tax installed. Thats retarded! That sucks though, the tires tread is still good for about another 25,000 kms.... shitty deals for me.

Here are some pics...

It's really noticable in this last pic, you can see where the top of PIRELLI is cut off.

Also, is there anything in the factory warranty ( I have EXT ) that would possibly cover this?? I highly doubt it, but you never know. My dealer never mentioned it though (surprise, surprise)

·
Registered
439 Posts
It looks as it was driven on with low air pressure for some time. I would guess the edge of the rim wearing on that spot while the sidewall buckled, is what caused the line.

·
Registered
439 Posts
and another thing P6's are over rated and over priced. My dealer cost on my 16" P6's was $190, $250 retail. Hassle them for $80 bucks off or get them to give you a company's discount.

I replaced all four P6's with Falken's and saved $30 a tire

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shit, that's good man, I love the tread design on Falkens too. I was thinkin about getting all new rubber for them next summer anyways so I'm def not getting P6s this time ( due to the price ). I did note that I wasnt riding on low pressure, but The tire was plugged before so maybe I just never noticed till now? The dent may have been there for months :shock: Sometimes my attention to detail blows :lol:

·
Registered
649 Posts
^^ It actually states in your warranty agreement not to plug the tire because they are covered under warranty??? Did you buy the car 2nd hand?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
farfrmnormal said:
^^ It actually states in your warranty agreement not to plug the tire because they are covered under warranty??? Did you buy the car 2nd hand?
Nope, brand spankin new. The dealer was the one who plugged it too...think I should say something or is it a lost cause?

·
Premium Member
12,861 Posts
A friend of mine drove to my house with a flat tire once. It looked very similar to that. I'd make a guess that the same thing happened to that tire.

·
Resident Troll
5,921 Posts
ha ha how could you not notice a flat/basically flat tire? do you have huge subs or something that you cant hear/ feel anything but your body going numb. haha. sucks tho man. if the dealer plugged it and the plug failed. then fight it. but you said there was another nail, and they could blame the flat on that.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, the tire is still retaining all of its pressure. As for the dealer not supposed to be plugging it---this is Fort McMurray, nuf said, LOL. Good customer service is so rare around here it's disgusting.I'm gonna shoot down to my dealer today and see if warranty will cover this. All they should do is measure the tread and make me pay the difference for a new one, at least I hope so. Better than paying full.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jnak said:
How long have you had the car? Is it possible the tire was like that before you got it?
Not a chance, every wash I use tire foam/armor all tire gel, which is how I noticed it. Just noticed it yesterday, and I wash the car once a week, sometimes more.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
No guys, thats not from low pressure. Low pressure would just cause the tires to wear on both edges. Thats from driving on the tire flat. We used to get those all the time when I used to work at the tire shop. Its from the weight of the car pushing the rim into the tire. If you dismount the tire, you'll have some "rubbery sawdust" looking stuff on the inside of the tire. The tire will be ok as long as you keep the pressure up to normal, but just as a precaution, you need to park and turn your wheel all the way in one direction, and feel along the edge of the tire to make sure you don't feel any "knots" or "bubbles" in the sidewalls. For future reference guys, there is no "ride flat" tire, every tire will wear out like that on a flat because the sidewall is very thin. Good luck man and I hope the tires ok for you cuz i know they're expensive.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the input everyone. I'm going to get her replaced anyways. Just as a safety precaution. I don't care too much if it pops while i'm driving, but I don't want my GF to be in danger while she is. So, i'm just gonna suck it up and cough up the bills. Warranty already told me they aren't gonna help me so..

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
She wasn't ever flat on me though, that's what I don't get. I mean, I had to put in air every two days for about a week or so before they plugged it for me, so maybe that had something to do with it? But it was never dangerously low. I don't neglect my baby like that. :D Aw well, shit happens!

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Yea, you may have overlooked it, or hell, they may have driven it flat across the parking lot if you let them drive it. It really doesn't take much. I hate how companies make their shit so cheap. Not just tires, but anything...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts