G5 Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I have a 2008 G5, and I'm looking to replace my stereo, my two door speakers, and add a 10" sub. Can you guys help me out with what exactly I need to do this, such as which fitting for the radio, etc. I've never really done anything like this before so I'd appreciate anything you guys can help me with. So these are all the things I need help with.

1. Stereo- recommended brand, what do I need to install this, and how difficult will it be?

2. Two door speakers- recommended speakers, size, how to, and how difficult.

3. Sub- recommended, parts, how to, and how difficult.

I'm kind of on a budget also, not looking to spend too too much. I mean theres nothing wrong with the stock stereo I have in now, is it a necessity to change it if I want to upgrade my speakers?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
No. You can keep the stock stereo and get new speakers. The audio does sound better when you do replace the radio, however. As for the sub, I'm not sure because I don't have one of those. I think you need an amp for it because there isn't a current way to get it installed with the stock radio? When you replace your door speakers, you will have to destroy your old ones if you want the new ones to sit in the doors perfectly. The stock speakers are built into a plastic mounting bracket. When I did my speakers, I cut out the old one and screwed the new speaker directly into that bracket. Other than that it is really easy, I recommend getting the appropriate wire harnesses because that will make install on the speakers and radio much simpler.

·
Registered
134 Posts
If your on a budget I'd just get a good deck like a Pioneer AVH double-din, good speakers like alpine Type R's or E's, and a good 4-channel amp running them. I have 2 12" alpine type R's and they are weighing the car down a bit. If you wanna get a sub find a light box and id go with one 12" type R personally.

Also, try looking around for private sales. I got my two alpine type R's and an alpine M1000 amp in almost brand new condition for 400$. They run perfectly and the amp itself is worth $350+, just make sure to test them out before you buy.
You'll also need a Harness for any aftermarket stereo. If you go with the AVH you'll need a Scosche GM13SR Harness, Scosche GM1599B / GM1599, and a Scosche CRAB / CRA Antenna Adapter. (Not sure about other stereo's)
You can find that at SonicElectronix.com

Instillation wise I'd get it professionally done.
Use this to see what fits: http://www.mobiletoys.com/partners/jvc_fitguide/fitGuide.aspx

oh and change all four speakers, no point of leaving two stock.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay say for instance I use Ebay or Amazon to get everything, for 4 speakers, a radio, a sub, an amp, and all the parts....Is there anyway I can get that for around 300?

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
You can keep your stock stereo and just get a Line Out Converter to be able to have the RCA outputs needed for the amplifier. You don't need to get it professionally done, it's pretty simple - especially since our battery is on our trunk, so there is no need to run the power wire to the front of the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry guys I got caught up with work. Anyways, Thanks for all the replies, but what i've decided to do for now is just get two new door speakers since my left door speaker isn't working anymore and i'll wait to replace the stereo and get a sub, etc.

Anyone have any suggestions for a pair of speakers that will fit in the doors? I did use the link to find out the size, so they are 6.5 correct? I also don't understand the difference between component and coaxial speakers. Thanks in advance again guys, sorry i'm pretty clueless when it comes to all this. If you guys could help me out with a link to some speakers that sound good, have some nice bass, i'll be more than grateful.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Yes, the doors are 6.5. I have Pioneer 3-ways, which I got from best buy, and I love them. Night and Day difference from stock.

·
Registered
134 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Doors are 6.5 and rears are 6x9 I did the doors off a how to that's on here somewhere, and when I did my rear speakers I made a how to as well (I warn you it's not very fun) but just look in the how too's and the threads should be there.

·
Registered
55 Posts
don't go with component, you'll need to find a place to put the tweeters and the amp.
and trust me you'll want to change all 4 speakers out.
these are really good speakers for the price:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_27133_Alpine-SPE-6000.html
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_27135_Alpine-SPE-6090.html
run them on a decent 4 channel amp and they'll sound even better.
here's a vid of the 6x9's without an amp (go to 4:30 into the video)
Sorry to bring up a couple month old thread and jack it but if I were to put the speakers that you linked in my car and run a 4 channel amp how many watts would be sufficient for these speakers? this would be with my stock head unit. for now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts