G5 Club banner

New Member Trying to keep G5’s on the Map

4K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  Cherry GT 
#1 · (Edited)
I’m a new member, but I’ve had my 2009 G5 for 3 years. 147k miles great reliable car, but I can’t find a good tuner or anyone to remove the speed limiter. I was told Trifecta and had no luck. I want to hear your guys top speed? I have been 124 coasting down a long stretch of highway, but my limiter still kicks in at 110 and doesn’t rev past 4K but slowly coasts to the 120s. The biggest question I’ve seen on all 2.2s is how to remove limiter and I’ve still had no luck? Help

My car has:
ZZP CAI
ZZP shorty headers
Spectre Air Filter
W- rated Continental Extreme Contact All Season DW06 tires 205/55/ZR16
ZZP tower strut bar
Trifecta tune
Car best- 0-60: 6.8 1/4 14.00 top speed: 124

See less See more
#4 ·
Nice pic and welcome!

#5 ·
I figured Trifecta wouldn't provide support. Look into this:

HPTuners is the way to go.

#14 ·
As far as I know, the ECU's have the VIN and mileage programmed into them, somehow. The car also has another computer somewhere in it and it also has the VIN stored, as well as records the mileage. If the two don't match, the car wont do anything. In order to get this to work, you need to find somewhere with the software to open the coding and manually change the ECU to match the car.

#16 ·
I’m a new member, but I’ve had my 2009 G5 for 3 years. 147k miles great reliable car, but I can’t find a good tuner or anyone to remove the speed limiter. I was told Trifecta and had no luck. I want to hear your guys top speed? I have been 124 coasting down a long stretch of highway, but my limiter still kicks in at 110 and doesn’t rev past 4K but slowly coasts to the 120s. The biggest question I’ve seen on all 2.2s is how to remove limiter and I’ve still had no luck? Help My car has: ZZP CAI ZZP shorty headers Spectre Air Filter W- rated Continental Extreme Contact All Season DW06 tires 205/55/ZR16 ZZP tower strut bar Trifecta tune Car best- 0-60: 6.8 1/4 14.00 top speed: 124 View attachment 17933
There is no way your car is running 14's, I can't believe you just said that. Trying the same car with the 5-speed manual with every bolt on you going to imagine with the zzp canned tune, and it was a total waste of money. Shit you wouldn't run 14s if you put the Eaton m62 supercharger with the zzp stage 1 kit with full bolt ons.

#17 ·
Come on bro you ain't even getting close to 14s, I can't even believe you just said that. I got the same car with the five-speed manual and every bolt on you going to imagine with the and zzp Canned tune. And it was nothing but a waste of money, that car is running 17s if you're lucky I mean it's basically still stock. You wouldn't hit 14s with the Eaton M62 supercharger with full bolt ons and the zzp stage 1 kit for the supercharger. Your best bet is to put a nice suspension on it, like one I got BC extreme low coilovers. Because sometimes it's funner to drive a slow car fast than a fast car fast. You would have to put in an insane amount of money into that car for it to hit 14s.

#20 ·
You wouldn't hit 14s with the Eaton M62 supercharger with full bolt ons and the zzp stage 1 kit for the supercharger
While I dont necessarily believe OP is running 14 flat with his mods if his best 0-60 is 6.8,
Font Number

LSJ Stock is less power than just the ZZP Stage 1 Supercharger Kit.
Font Circle Number Document

And this is OPs car Stock.
And considering how rich the stock tune is, uhm, yea, I can see OP getting into 14s.
Here the link to the thread OFFICIAL TOP 10 1/4 and 1/8th Mile LISTS!!!! - Cobalt SS Network
You would have to put in an insane amount of money into that car for it to hit 14s.
I guess buying a halfway decent LSJ and tuning for a few thousand is an insane amount of money

#19 ·
but it'll never be fast unless you put thousands of dollars into it.
Depends on ur definition of 'Fast'. These cars put sub 7 second 0-60s stock, that pretty quick. And while thousands of dollars help, you dont need to dump anywhere near what you'd dump into any other car, especially considering most of the old school 'cheap tuners' have had their prices shoot up cuz of clout culture and LS anything goes up in price every second.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.