G5 Club banner

New to the forum, need some suggestions!

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Cherry GT 
#1 ·
Howdy. I am new to this forum but I've had my G5 since March of 2020. So far I've got new wheels and tires, upsized to 17" and put some LEDs in. Besides that, I've been doing basic maintenance like the oil, then replaced the air filters and alternator, etc. I'm looking to do some more mods this upcoming year. I want to change the intake, redo the whole suspension to make it sportier. I want to lower it with some springs, hopefully around 2 inches. I want to install some sway bars too. I'm looking for some suggestions on fairly priced products to use for what I want to do and also some other ideas for fun mods that make it more enjoyable to drive. Thanks for reading!
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

See less See more
#2 ·
Great plans, all around! You may also want to consider replacing the exhaust with two and a half pipe, low-profile resonator, and Muffler of your choice. You're going to need help taking off the exhaust manifold oh, but definitely worth replacing with something more efficient. Given that you live in a snow area, you may want to reconsider a 2-inch drop in suspension. Maybe one inch maximum, to keep your driveability in deep snow.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Oh yeah, exhaust too. I'm not sure how much is a good amount to spend for that. Also you bring up a good point with the snow and maybe not dropping it as much. I do live in Michigan. For anything mentioned, are there any companies/brands/products I should stay away from or lean towards? I've been seeing a lot of good things about ZZP. Thanks

#4 ·
Most people do a rear sway and leave the front one. Ive heard good things about the Turbo Tech Racing rear sway. I believe there's also a full aftermarket suspension kit on CarID for around 700$US, lemme see if I can find it

Edit: 15 seconds later, here it is. I hope you like pink and white, other colors cost more xD Godspeed Project® - Mono-SS™ Front and Rear Coilover Kit
These are adjustable, so u could drop 2" in the summer and lift it back to stock in the winter

#5 ·
You're right, I'd probably just start with the rear sway bar and then maybe the front later on if I feel like it. Oh man the pink and white. I think if I was gonna ball out on some coilovers, I might as well buy the ZZP stuff. They have some that I think were recently released for $1,000. Do you know if the pink ones are good quality to make it worth saving $300?

#6 ·
As for ZZP, they're the main aftermarket for the Cobalt/G5/Ion platform and theyve got alot of experience. And for the intake, I just got an universal intake off of Amazon (3.25? 3.5"?), took off the intake resonator and fed the airbox right to the throttle body. Not the recommended setup but its functional and cheap atleast. You'd be better off with a proper CAI though, unless you feel like a super/turbocharger

#8 ·
Hello and welcome!

Though I have a few upgrades done to my car, I still have YET to drive it after installing ALL of them. I've heard quite a bit about upgrading the front sway bar. I have the FE5 (or 24mm) front sway bar. I'm told it will help with the handling, but lowering these cars will help out a LOT. You can also get a rear sway bar, which look REALLY simple to install and will help with the cornering abilities.

All of these upgrades have limits...and wheels / tires will impact the car quite a bit.

If you watch thr FB pages, you can often find decent prices on used parts. Unfortunately, most of the performance upgrades on those pages have to do with forced induction. You'll really have to look to find a good deal on the parts. If you are looking for new parts, ZZPerformance has pretty much anything you need and you can get them cheaper there than if you try to buy them direct from the manufacturer.

I just bought braided stainless steel brake lines and I saved $20 through ZZP than when I looked on the manufacturers website. I'm not sure how thye do it, but they do!!!!

#9 ·
I just bought braided stainless steel brake lines and I saved $20 through ZZP than when I looked on the manufacturers website. I'm not sure how thye do it, but they do!!!!
Manufacture price should always be more if they have Dealers.
Want the Dealers to sell the product.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.