G5 Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Pontiac G5 Coupe
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'll get straight to the point, I'm a new Pontiac G5 owner and I'm loving my new car. You guys can either call me BONzi or Matt.

I've pretty much come here because I got a 2007 Pontiac G5 coupe with the 2.2L Ecotec and the 5 speed in it for pretty cheap with low mileage because it was an insurance write off. It has about 120,000km on it and drives like a dream. The whole front end ended up getting rebuilt, as well as having brand new brakes. I just had to buy tires for it and it was ready to go after it got inspected.

My plans for it are to do some fairly inexpensive mods to it while keeping it pretty reasonable as it is a daily driver and I am a university student who is usually pretty tight for money. I will be open to any suggestions as well.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Automotive parking light Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle
Land vehicle Car Vehicle Wheel Speedometer
Speedometer Wheel Motor vehicle Gauge Automotive tire

So far I have ordered some new headlights to spruce up the appearance a little bit and I am looking into changing out the stereo for something a little more modern.

Anyways I'm glad I found this forum and look forward to learning more about this car and connect with other owners. Also let me know if everyone would prefer if I use imperial units for discussing things on here in the future. I am Canadian but I don't mind taking the extra minute to convert things if it is easier for the majority of users to understand them.

~BONzi

·
Super Moderator
1,978 Posts
Welcome! Basic mods, IMHO, are a cold air intake (NO 'in-fender' inlet!), upgraded dampers/springs, rear sway bar. Keep up the oil maintenance, as Ecotecs HATE bad oil care (and crappy oil filters). Ears open for 'noisy' timing chain. Short shifting kit is nice, but may be hard to find; not crucial.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2007 Pontiac G5 Coupe
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome! Basic mods, IMHO, are a cold air intake (NO 'in-fender' inlet!), upgraded dampers/springs, rear sway bar. Keep up the oil maintenance, as Ecotecs HATE bad oil care (and crappy oil filters). Ears open for 'noisy' timing chain. Short shifting kit is nice, but may be hard to find; not crucial.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Awesome thank you for the insight. I did actually change the oil as soon as I picked it up too, was recommended by the seller and my dad and I were able to do it right in the seller's shop before we drove off with it.

A cold air intake would be a nice easy mod to do as well though I might wait until after it goes through the out of province inspection in about a month because I bought it in BC and just moved to Alberta. Was pretty hard to find stuff rust free here.

·
Registered
2007 G5 GT in Fusion Orange. Lightly modded
85 Posts
Welcome BONzi!!! 👍

X2 on oil changes!!! If you don't, then you'll end up having to replace the motor or hauling it to the junk yard... If you want to ask me how I know, I wound up buying someone else's problem (I have a thread on here somewhere)...it has been a complete nightmare.

A radio / stereo upgrade would be nice. For the time being, I bought a short wave radio transmitter from Amazon and I Bruu-TOOFS my tunes through my cell phone (super easy esp. w/ Spotify / Pandora / iTunes). The 2.2 isn't going to be a race car, but if you mod the suspension, you'll have a TON of fun with this thing-especially in the twisties!

Welcome and feel free to post up anything on or about the car...

Reactions: BONzi

·
Registered
2007 Pontiac G5 Coupe
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome BONzi!!!

X2 on oil changes!!! If you don't, then you'll end up having to replace the motor or hauling it to the junk yard... If you want to ask me how I know, I wound up buying someone else's problem (I have a thread on here somewhere)...it has been a complete nightmare.

A radio / stereo upgrade would be nice. For the time being, I bought a short wave radio transmitter from Amazon and I Bruu-TOOFS my tunes through my cell phone (super easy esp. w/ Spotify / Pandora / iTunes). The 2.2 isn't going to be a race car, but if you mod the suspension, you'll have a TON of fun with this thing-especially in the twisties!

Welcome and feel free to post up anything on or about the car...
Yeah I'll for sure keep up on the oil, I did it as soon as I picked up the car and then basically proceeded to drive it over to the next province

~BONzi

1 - 9 of 9 Posts