G5 Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
As the title for my post states, I am new. New to the forum, new to the car, new...well newer.... to working on vehicles. I helped my father work on a transition swap for a 1995 Toyota 4runner when I was younger, but I haven't done much other than that. I am hoping to gain some insight and learn about my vehicle.
Recently I purchased a 2007 G5 coupe (base) with about 194xxx Km (approx. 120500 Miles) on it. The vehicle has a couple modifications on it from the previous owner, a straight pipe (though the pipe seems a little small to me...) and HID headlights (having some issues with those which I will post in a different thread). Paid only $2800 CAD (Approx. $2100 USD) for it, seems like a pretty good deal to me.
I had an inspection done a couple days ago and found that the serpentine belt is cracking and the front break pads, rotors and potentially the calipers as well need to be replaced. Knowing nothing about the vehicle or how to replace these thing I found this forum whilst looking for some help online.

·
Premium Member
12,880 Posts
Welcome!

The serpentine belt isn't too hard to replace. It is really easy if you have the tool to move the tensioner.

I've replaced the brake pads and rotors twice on my G5, and one rear caliper. It's not too difficult; it just takes time to remove everything, clean things up, replace, bleed, etc.

·
Super Moderator
1,978 Posts
Welcome!

The serpentine belt isn't too hard to replace. It is really easy if you have the tool to move the tensioner.

I've replaced the brake pads and rotors twice on my G5, and one rear caliper. It's not too difficult; it just takes time to remove everything, clean things up, replace, bleed, etc.
I'll second this. Get the belt tool, basically a long lever with built-in hexes/socket options. Also, grab a Haynes repair manual. Don't go stock for pads, rotors, shoes, drums. They are cheap, and won't last long.

·
Super Moderator
1,978 Posts
Hint of advice on brake pad changes, HAVE a C clamp to compress the caliper to install new pads. I got stuck there ONCE! Lol. But good luck, I am a fairly new owner of 07 G5GT as well. Welcome.
pair of needle-nosed pliers work on the rear caliper piston, in lieu of a pricey specialized GM too. C-clamp schtick only works up front. ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts