G5 Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm new to this forum and G5 ownership but I've already had to install a "new" engine, clutch, both timing and balance shaft chains, and front end bushings. So I'm not a novice mechanic by any means. I searched a lot on this topic in forums but have come up short. I have an 08 G5 2.2 manual. I bought it a month ago with a blown engine. I bought an engine from cl from an automatic 07 cobalt with only 70k. I used the existing wiring harness from the manual but did not change over any sensors. Did the chains while it was out and a clutch. So the engine is in now and running great. My problem is I have no gauges. The people I bought the car from said the problem was not pre existing but I'm not sure if I believe them. So I figured ok gm ignition switch duh. So I went and had the recall done and it didn't fix it. They installed a cylinder and switch. Power steering recall was done previously.

So my rpm and speedo gauges act a bit funny between off and 0 but eventually rest at 0 and stay there while the car is running. The fuel gauges remains at 0 always. The brake light, abs, and airbag light are also illuminated.

My scanner reads vehicle specific abs and there are no codes.

My scanner also does live data and can read Rpms and the vss so I was using it to drive the car lol.

No matter what, the gauges remain at 0 while driving they do not fluctuate.

The odometer reads the mileage at startup then turns into a thin line across the middle of the readout.

The lights are working for the gauges and can be dimmed by the dimmer switch and turned on and off with the light switch.

The blinkers work fine but the blinker arrows do not illuminate on the cluster.

Number 7 fuse is good As well as every fuse in the car. Fuses that were bad when I got the car were both cigarette lighters, and both high and low fan fuses. They have been replaced and are working fine.

I know it's a lot to take in I'm just trying to be thorough and give all the info I can.

Thanks in advance I would really appreciate any help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Resolved

Went to the junkyard and payed a hesitant 40 dollars today for a cluster. And it worked! Wooooo now I gotta figure out what service airbag means haha ugh

·
Super Moderator
12,861 Posts
Crazy. I've never heard of a dash cluster going bad.

There are a couple things you can check for the air bag. Is the warning light intermittent, or on every time you start the car?
-First, make sure that the passenger seat wiring harness is connected. It's underneath the seat near the rear floor vents. Push the seat ahead and look underneath from the back. If you have heated seats, both harnesses should be plugged in. If you don't, only one will be plugged in.
-Check the airbag fuse.
-I had a problem where the wires for the passenger presence detector were severed from sliding the seat forward and back. When you are checking #1, also check for any cut or damaged wires under the seat.
-If all those are good, I'd put my money on the passenger seatbelt retractor assembly. If you look at where the seatbelt mounts to the floor, you'll see a small wire assembly for the seatbelt tension sensor. The wires get damaged from flexing, (or in my case, from my kids stepping on it). If that's the case, the entire seatbelt assembly will need to be replaced.

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts