G5 Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have had this issue for that past year or so an am finally getting sick of it. I can hear a clunking noise whenever I turn left and right a few degrees on the steering wheel. I know there’s a tsb on a clunk but that description is every about 90 degrees turning I can bounce the wheel back and forth as like it has free play. I changed the rack last summer with a low mileage used one and it kind of went away but came back a few weeks later. Could it be the gears in the power steering motor? Or should I bite the bullet and buy a new rack?

2010 g5 coupe

·
Super Moderator
1,947 Posts
Check the intermediate shaft in the engine compartment, just past the firewall. A known wear issue on the U-joints. Recommend you get one that is greasable, if you intend to keep the car for a while.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check the intermediate shaft in the engine compartment, just past the firewall. A known wear issue on the U-joints. Recommend you get one that is greasable, if you intend to keep the car for a while.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
I didn’t know you could a greaseable one could you point me somewhere to find one?

·
Super Moderator
583 Posts
If you're going to take the time to pull the old u-joint out, Dart is correct. I just replace the whole damn thing (I've done it twice). It's 2 bolts: right behind the steering wheel, and just on the other side of the firewall. You'll need a long extension to get at it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts