G5 Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the north/north west houston area (1960) and I need to find somewhere to get my car inspected with my black tail lights. I haven't had any luck looking for someone to swap tail lights for a little bit. Does anyone know of somewhere that might pass them or work somewhere that will? I'm 3 months overdue lol

·
Banned
1,781 Posts
im pretty nervous bout going also with them being done ... what happenes if u fail haha

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
hell i need my car to be done interpovincial and my tails r black as fuck... so im going to take some acetone and take the night shade off then go get my inspection done then re do the tails

·
Banned
1,781 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Heh, this is why I love this state, no vehicle inspections... though because of that, some of the redneck-engineered things rolling down the roads are pretty frightening.

·
Banned
1,781 Posts
they scrape part of it off? hmm its a pretty stupid law i need to move back to ohio

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No if you fail here they just give you like 4-5 days to get it fixed or you'll have to pay to get it checked again. And yeah they're big on emissions and stuff here but the big 1 ton diesels can roll around spewing black smoke all day long. And I don't want to have to remove the paint and redo them. I think I'll wait till I can find someone around here with stock lights I can swap with for like 30 min.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
typically vehicles above 5000 gvw don't need to get an inspection done in most places for emissions or functionality/etc... if you own a car you're screwed basically. Here we have emissions testing but don't need to get your vehicle inspected unless your importing the vehicle from out of country or out of province or if you really pissed off a cop.

Emissions here, doesn't need to be done for 7 years on new vehicles and even then they only plug in OBDII to check for CELs.... so I'd say we're lucky here... if you don't pass a VI here or fail emissions, they simply don't allow you to renew your insurance and its illegal to drive without insurance here... plus the insurance corp here is owned by the provincial gov & is a monopoly.... everyone has the same basic insurance.

Acetone will be your best friend! If you have to get VI's done on a yearly basis, just pick up a spare set of tails or don't night shade them or you'll go thru this year after year.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah my other plan is getting a spare set. My friend's shop can get them around $60 a pair.

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
Yeah my other plan is getting a spare set. My friend's shop can get them around $60 a pair.
Seems like a good deal, especially handy to have a spare set around in case one gets knocked out or something, depending on where you live lol.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK well I found a solution. Sanded off just the part where the bulb and reflector is. Still looks ok. And turns out Texas (and maybe other states too) decided the new legal front tint can only be 25%. So if you had it the previous legal darkness (I think it was 20%), you can't get inspected unless you rip it off. So now I have redone tail lights and no front tint. FML. I'd like to be refunded for what I spent on my tint when it was legal.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
i got red tails, i know you fixed it already but just saying and dude you need to join gmofhouston.com, it's a local tuner club. im a moderator over there and it'd be nice to have another g5. me and tom (bumblebee) are the only two lol.

i live out in the kingwood area, which is at 1960 and 59

1 - 16 of 16 Posts