·
PSD=PostSaturnDepression
826 Posts
linky no worky.... :lol:

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have Quicktime? cause if not you need it. Ive tried it on a few computers and it works.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hmm.. that's interesting..

a nice feature for sure.. but I'm still going to keep changing it every 3 months or 5k KM.. lol

·
Registered
277 Posts
A nice analogy... animation and all. Perhaps I've realized one of my lifetime goals (being a certified anachronism)... but if I do the math... as currently, I have 800 miles on my oil... and my OLM says that 96% of the Oil Life Remains.... 20K miles between oil changes????? It's rather difficult to believe.

But then... I'm presuming that the OLM measurements and calculations are purely linear... which they probably are not.

I for one am firmly of the belief that oil is cheap. I changed it at 250 miles... and will change it again at 1000 miles (tonight actually).... after that, every 3000 miles.

But it will be interesting to see what the OLM tells me in the future. Like the "Fuel Economy" meter... it's a nice feature... but I'm not sure yet... if it's overtly accurate.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
As a quick add-in... To reset your Oil-Life after an oil change:

With the car off and key in the ON position, STOMP your gas pedal 3 times, it'll reset to 100%.

OR the harder way:

With the car off and key in the ON position, press both info center buttons, it should pop up saying OIL LIFE RESET (if not then press the info button until it gets there), once it gets to OIL LIFE RESET, press and hold the enter button for 5-10 seconds and it should reset successfully.

I just figured instead of creating a new thread to just add-in here. I had problems with that earlyer... Tapping the gas 3 times is WAY easyers though.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Rob said:
With the car off and key in the ON position, tap your gas pedal 3 times, it'll reset to 100%.
Holy JEEBUS... I did that... and ended up in KANSAS!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry... couldn't help myself....

Now, how on earth did you find out that little tidbit... I'll try it next time I change the oil... as you're correct... doing it pursuant to the manual instructions... is certainly cumbersome and not at all intuitive.

:thanks4info

·
Registered
277 Posts
STOMP.... OK... got it. That's like "TAP" with "AUTHORITY". ;-) Kewl.

BTW... with 2000 miles since my last oil change, the OLM sez... there's 75% life left.

Sorry.... I don't buy that... not for a minute... but, let's see what it sez when I hit 3000 miles.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Bone Man said:
STOMP.... OK... got it. That's like "TAP" with "AUTHORITY". ;-) Kewl.

BTW... with 2000 miles since my last oil change, the OLM sez... there's 75% life left.

Sorry.... I don't buy that... not for a minute... but, let's see what it sez when I hit 3000 miles.
The OLM usually tends to average around 5,000 miles when it trips the light unless you really romp the hell out of your car.

·
Registered
277 Posts
5000 miles?!?!?!? I guess I'll never see that light come on then. Call me old school... or a luddite, even... but 3000 miles is my limit.

·
Banned
3,377 Posts
ehhh, I figure if they put that much time into create an OLM system, it must have been done for a reason...

Besides, machining has come such a long way in the past 10-20 years, that such tight clearances are possible without rubbing.

·
Registered
277 Posts
denlou said:
ehhh, I figure if they put that much time into create an OLM system, it must have been done for a reason...
I'm sure they put even more design time into such producst as... the Chevrolet Vega as well. And for good reasons too. Oil is cheap and very easy to change on these cars. Don't even get a facefull of it when you remove the oil filter. ;-)

As to machining, tight tolerances, etc., absolutely it's come a long way. Espcially in the mass-production realm. I don't know if that necessarily changes the way impurities build up in the crank case though.

Either way, it's an interesting feature. Dunno if the older, shade-tree mechanics such as myself will be quick to trust it though.

·
Super Moderator
1,959 Posts
Yeah, I noticed the OLM doppin' a helluva faster than it did in the summer. Must be the cold a.m. starts! Still gonna be changing the filter every 3K. There's no oil filter lie monitor, so it's getting switched out until I hear otherwise that it can last longer. Having a drop-in cartridge makes it a simple act anyway.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts