G5 Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To start with I ordered two oxygen sensors from Amazon that were identical, my first mistake is that the down-stream oxygen sensor is a male pigtail connector and the upstream is a female connection. So I had to drive to Napa without a down-stream O2 sensor which wasnt really a big deal. This all started because I was getting a P0036 code, which to be fair I knew about before I bought the car because I brought a scanner with me to the dealership. Turns out one of the wires was damaged (first picture.)

Gas Technology Cylinder Auto part Font

With the engine hot I jacked the car up and replaced the sensors after disconnecting the battery and adding some PB-Blaster, both sensors came off easily. I zip-tied the wires to a safe location where they wouldnt get damaged in the future. Since I already had the vehicle jacked up I went ahead and changed the oil. I used one quart of Marvel Mystery Oil and four quarts of High Mileage Full-Synthetic 5W-30 and a AC Delco filter, you will need a 32mm low-profile socket to remove the oil-filter cap and a 15mm socket for the oil pan plug. Be sure to use a rag or paper towels to get any old oil out of the oil filter location. About a week prior to this I replaced the air-filter, in-cabin air filter, removed the air-box silencer, and cleaned the throttle body.

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Land vehicle Car Vehicle

I was talking on the phone about the down-stream sensor and closed the trunk and then tried to start the car, forgetting to re-connect the battery. My key was locked in the ignition :eek:. Luckily I did have my phone and discoved that if you remove the cap under the steering column and push the white button inside, you can remove the key. Thankfully I was able to my key out, re-connect the battery and be on my way. So far everything is bueno, no codes and no checkengine light. The best part is I didnt have to pay a mechanic and saved a lot of money doing it myself.

·
Super Moderator
1,983 Posts
To start with I ordered two oxygen sensors from Amazon that were identical, my first mistake is that the down-stream oxygen sensor is a male pigtail connector and the upstream is a female connection. So I had to drive to Napa without a down-stream O2 sensor which wasnt really a big deal. This all started because I was getting a P0036 code, which to be fair I knew about before I bought the car because I brought a scanner with me to the dealership. Turns out one of the wires was damaged (first picture.)

View attachment 18186

With the engine hot I jacked the car up and replaced the sensors after disconnecting the battery and adding some PB-Blaster, both sensors came off easily. I zip-tied the wires to a safe location where they wouldnt get damaged in the future. Since I already had the vehicle jacked up I went ahead and changed the oil. I used one quart of Marvel Mystery Oil and four quarts of High Mileage Full-Synthetic 5W-30 and a AC Delco filter, you will need a 32mm low-profile socket to remove the oil-filter cap and a 15mm socket for the oil pan plug. Be sure to use a rag or paper towels to get any old oil out of the oil filter location. About a week prior to this I replaced the air-filter, in-cabin air filter, removed the air-box silencer, and cleaned the throttle body.

View attachment 18185

I was talking on the phone about the down-stream sensor and closed the trunk and then tried to start the car, forgetting to re-connect the battery. My key was locked in the ignition :eek:. Luckily I did have my phone and discoved that if you remove the cap under the steering column and push the white button inside, you can remove the key. Thankfully I was able to my key out, re-connect the battery and be on my way. So far everything is bueno, no codes and no checkengine light. The best part is I didnt have to pay a mechanic and saved a lot of money doing it myself.
Great job! I like to dump a quart of cheap 5w30 oil down the filter housing. Flushes it, and some residual from the pan. Mind the filter, as some tend to 'crush' under use in the Ecotecs. High $ ones don't. Good news is they're easy to check & replace.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2007 G5 GT in Fusion Orange. Lightly modded
96 Posts
When I do an oil change, I like to make sure the filter is soaked in oil. With a conventional filter, I would (literally) fill it up with new oil and let the oil soak into the filter material and install it. On the Ecotec platform, it is just the filter (no housing). I'm not sure if it amount to much, but on an initial oil change; but NOT making the oil pump saturate the filter FIRST may prevent some damage upon start-up.

I know my girlfriend used to pay to have her oil changed. It would cost her between $80 and $100 for synthetic. Since I started doing it for her, it now costs between $45 and $55 (depending on the oil filter I use).

·
Super Moderator
1,983 Posts
Cars should take about a second before start up to prime the oil system....should. With a high-quality synthetic, a small film stays on parts, certain passageways are already semi-primed from the refill process, and the new oil is warmed up by the still-warm engine. If you wanted to, you can pre-soak the new filter cartridge the night before, but that makes for a drippy mess upon installing. Without a pre-lube system, double check the fill, filter, and drainplug, then start the car & let it idle a minute or two to get everything 'wet' again. If the oil idiot light doesn't go out within two seconds, shut it down immediately! Recheck your work. A healthy pump will easily get things bathed in oil again, not much worse than a cold restart.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts