G5 Club banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried this? I want to paint the black the same color of my car, but I'm worried about the heat from the engine :( Is there any type of paint I could use that would match my car and resist the heat? My car's fusion orange.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah hopefully there's something that can be done :D i think it would look good :) and then get a chrome intake :D

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pretty much lol... kidding :p I don't like to brag. I want the injen intake because it looks better inside the engine bay versus the GMPP intake, but I don't want to void warranty :(

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'm pretty sure all cars have some form of air intake system :p on ours (when stock) it's the bottom left corner, just some black tube thing. Go check out some of the posts in the review thread, it'll show you the aftermarket intakes in some of the posts i think.

·
Resident Troll
5,921 Posts
someone has done it. there were pics on the forum before the crash.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh right on :D I don't remember seeing those pictures but oh well :) I just want to know what kind of paint to use to avoid it cracking etc from the heat.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
yeah just go to your local body shop and see if they can mix some orange paint up for you i did that with my pads/calipers and for the past month everything has been holding up fine but i would look to see if that paint will stand up to the heat of the engine

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok ... so the spray cans that match GM wouldn't hold up to the heat I'm assuming :lol: can body shops give you paint in a spray can? or am I going to have to use a paint gun :(

·
Super Moderator
1,939 Posts
Hasn't RustOleum come out with a polymer paint? I know that one of their reds damn near matches my car's bright red paint.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
njg5gt said:
http://www.duplicolor.com/products/engine.html

duplicolor makes paints for all different situations and this is their engine paints. im not sure how it'll stick to plastic, but it's definitely made to stand up to high heat situations such as engines.

hope this helps
thanks!! Maybe if I give it a good sanding, a good couple coats of the duplicolor and a good couple coats of a hardcore clearcoat, it might work? any other thoughts on this?

·
Premium Member
10,371 Posts
well with high heat, your supposed to paint it and then throw it in your oven to burn off polymers and create the heat resistant coat.

what im saying is i dont know if when you clear coat it, it will take away the heat resistantness of the paint. probably something to ask duplicolor directly

·
Premium Member
10,371 Posts
lol that's how the paint dries if you watch their videos.

i think asking them would be best. check rustoleum too

·
Registered
43 Posts
tank said:
pretty much lol... kidding :p I don't like to brag. I want the injen intake because it looks better inside the engine bay versus the GMPP intake, but I don't want to void warranty :(
I'll just say this before farfrmnormal gets here. Getting a non-GM Intake will NOT void your warranty unless they can prove that it was the intake itself that caused the damage.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh exciting :eek: that f*&%$#@ at my dealership just wanted me to buy it from him then haha. That made my day :) thanks!

1 - 20 of 80 Posts