G5 Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Busted the passenger knuckle today, had a hell of a time finding a new one, but I'm really confused on how it did in the first place. I pulled into my driveway at 15mph and it just went. Pulled the axle out tryna back out because I thought I'd run over a nail since thats what it felt like. Can anyone explain how it'd bust like this though?
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Tread
Wood Trigger Bedrock Gas Formation
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Engineering Rim

·
Super Moderator
1,970 Posts
Busted the passenger knuckle today, had a hell of a time finding a new one, but I'm really confused on how it did in the first place. I pulled into my driveway at 15mph and it just went. Pulled the axle out tryna back out because I thought I'd run over a nail since thats what it felt like. Can anyone explain how it'd bust like this though? View attachment 18117 View attachment 18118 View attachment 18119
Over time, they can possibly break. They are a very high-stress, mass-produced component, and if there is any imperfection, they can give out without notice. Road rally folks were breaking them a LOT, so GM Performance put out some knuckles that were 'treated' for durability, as well as machined slightly different/tuned for better handling. But not so much that they had to have a different alignment procedure from stock.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well yea, She's got 177k on her so they've definitely seen better days, but thats doesnt seem like a spot where the knuckle should flex, let alone break from pulling into a driveway. Thats what im confused about

·
Super Moderator
1,970 Posts
Break looks like a case of bad metallurgy. Simply just 'snapped', no fatigue. Probably barely passed testing when made.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,869 Posts
Just count your blessings and be glad it didn't happen on the freeway.
You will want to buy a new wheel hub/bearing too. The speed sensor on the back of the hub won't survive when you remove it from the knuckle.
There is a chance you broke the CV joint on the axel too.
Good luck!

·
Registered
2007 G5 GT in Fusion Orange. Lightly modded
67 Posts
I have NEVER seen a knuckle break in that spot! Kind of unfortunate. Like "Toolman" said, glad you weren't on the highway or something!

·
Premium Member
12,869 Posts
Except for the break, that knuckle is in surprisingly good shape! You must not live in the salt belt like many of us do. :) Normally, the hub fuses itself to the aluminum knuckle and the speed sensor on the back of the hub comes off when trying to break it free from the knuckle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Upstate NY actually xD. I just did the hubs less than 10k miles ago so thats why they werent fused in. The old ones were so stuck in there that we actually ripped the wheel sensor off and had to beat it out of the knuckle. Next I gotta do the rust spots and rocker panels, I have like 0 pinch weld left

1 - 10 of 10 Posts