G5 Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would be interested to hear from anyone who has a worked on a 2007 or 2008 GT with the Pioneer premium speaker system that has a separate Pioneer tweeter mounted on the shark fin module immediately adjacent to the door's rear view mirror. If you have previously removed the shark fin module (otherwise officially called the upper door trim extension by GM) containing the Pioneer tweeter, I would like to know:

[1] Whether the shark fin module had to first be removed before removing the main door trim panel, or the shark fin module is completely separately mounted and attached on its own.

[2] Whether the shark fin module is kept in place with retaining clips the same way as those with manual mirror adjustment levers are (on the upper extension).

As far as I know, on doors that use manual mirror adjustment levers, the lower edge of the upper extension is clipped onto the door trim panel itself so the upper extension has to be removed first before the entire door trim panel can be removed, but I would like to get a confirmation from anyone that has the GT model with the Pioneer tweeter installed on the upper extension, to see if there are differences in how the upper extension is mounted / secured. Thanks. There is a thread here that illustrates base model door trim removal on a door with manual mirror adjustment:

http://www.g5club.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5477

·
Registered
108 Posts
when i removed mine, i did the tweeter last and had no problems....when you remove the door first you can see where its held in place so you can pull with even pressure to make sure you dont snap it off.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. That's a good point about removing the shark fin module last. Will keep that in mind. My main concern is that the shark fin on the GT's Pioneer tweeter might be coupled to the main door trim as is on either older G5 model years and/or those with manual mirror adjuster levers on the shark fin piece. I did already check out all the documentation I have and noticed that the disassembly instructions for G5s that have manual mirror adjusters need to have the shark fin piece removed first before the door trim comes off, which seems consistent with the other door trim removal thread I posted earlier.

By the way, I know that the tweeter driver has a short speaker cable on it terminating on a 2-pin connector. When you removed the tweeter, did you notice (or was it easily visible) where the tweeter speaker cable goes further upstream? I'm trying to determine beforehand where the passive crossover is on the Pioneer speakers for the doors because I know for a fact that the Pioneer power amplifier outputs only a single channel to each of the doors, so there has to be a passive crossover somewhere external to the power amplifier (possibly a capacitor on the woofer) to split off the high frequencies to the tweeter.

when i removed mine, i did the tweeter last and had no problems.... when you remove the door first you can see where its held in place so you can pull with even pressure to make sure you dont snap it off.

·
Registered
108 Posts
just be sure to pull evenly, because in my 05 cobalt with the tweeter i broke the plastic thing that sticks out....the wire goes into the door towards the firewall...the amp is under the dash somewhere..my buddy is a tech ill ask him tonight. the clip that holds it in is near the top of the tweeter

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right, I know the Pioneer power amplifier is under the dash (left of steering wheel). Not worried about that right now, just curious where the passive crossover on the stock Pioneer speakers are for the doors. But I will probably find out more when I get into the front door woofer later. For now I'm just focusing on the stock speakers. Thanks again.

just be sure to pull evenly, because in my 05 cobalt with the tweeter i broke the plastic thing that sticks out....the wire goes into the door towards the firewall...the amp is under the dash somewhere..my buddy is a tech ill ask him tonight. the clip that holds it in is near the top of the tweeter

·
Registered
182 Posts
I just took the door panel off my 2009 last weekend and on mine it is actually part of the door panel. You just pop the top retainer out of the shark fin before you remove the door panel.

I thought this piece came off and if I would have gotten rough I would have had to buy a new door panel.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is yours a base, SE or GT trim? There are several different variations with the shark fin. From what I could determine so far, there appears to be 3 variations of the shark fin - any shark fins that have the Pioneer tweeters is a separate piece that can be removed after the main door trim panel has been removed, and it seems from my closer examination of my own shark fin piece (as I have been too busy lately to even start removing the main door trim panel), it seems to confirm that. However, on doors where the rear view mirror is motorized but don't have the Pioneer tweeter, the shark fin may be a single piece with the main door trim, and for those doors that have manual rear view mirror adjustment, the shark fin is again a separate piece, but on some model years (perhaps the earlier models such as 2006, to be confirmed) I think it is mounted on top of the main door trim, so to get the main door trim off on these, the shark fin piece has to come off first.

I just took the door panel off my 2009 last weekend and on mine it is actually part of the door panel. You just pop the top retainer out of the shark fin before you remove the door panel. I thought this piece came off and if I would have gotten rough I would have had to buy a new door panel.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Is yours a base, SE or GT trim? There are several different variations with the shark fin. From what I could determine so far, there appears to be 3 variations of the shark fin - any shark fins that have the Pioneer tweeters is a separate piece that can be removed after the main door trim panel has been removed, and it seems from my closer examination of my own shark fin piece (as I have been too busy lately to even start removing the main door trim panel), it seems to confirm that. However, on doors where the rear view mirror is motorized but don't have the Pioneer tweeter, the shark fin may be a single piece with the main door trim, and for those doors that have manual rear view mirror adjustment, the shark fin is again a separate piece, but on some model years (perhaps the earlier models such as 2006, to be confirmed) I think it is mounted on top of the main door trim, so to get the main door trim off on these, the shark fin piece has to come off first.

My car is a GT with the Pioneer system and it is actually attached to my door panel with 1 retainer holding it in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Would be interested to hear from anyone who has a worked on a 2007 or 2008 GT with the Pioneer premium speaker system that has a separate Pioneer tweeter mounted on the shark fin module immediately adjacent to the door's rear view mirror. If you have previously removed the shark fin module (otherwise officially called the upper door trim extension by GM) containing the Pioneer tweeter, I would like to know:

[1] Whether the shark fin module had to first be removed before removing the main door trim panel, or the shark fin module is completely separately mounted and attached on its own.

[2] Whether the shark fin module is kept in place with retaining clips the same way as those with manual mirror adjustment levers are (on the upper extension).

As far as I know, on doors that use manual mirror adjustment levers, the lower edge of the upper extension is clipped onto the door trim panel itself so the upper extension has to be removed first before the entire door trim panel can be removed, but I would like to get a confirmation from anyone that has the GT model with the Pioneer tweeter installed on the upper extension, to see if there are differences in how the upper extension is mounted / secured. Thanks. There is a thread here that illustrates base model door trim removal on a door with manual mirror adjustment:

How To: Take off your door panel
I purchased a 07 G5 & it has the pioneer tweeter pod on the passenger door but, NOT THE DRIVER DOOR! Where can I obtain one for my driver door?????
Where can I purchase a driver side shark fin for my G5?

·
Super Moderator
592 Posts
Junk yard, and it's part of the whole door panel. If your vehicle did not come with the tweeters originally, there won't be a wire for it to connect to, it'll be a decoration.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts