G5 Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently found an interesting glitch with my G5 and its remote start that I think may need to sent to GM. This glitch involves the remote start not working and the check engine light to come on. I recently encountered this glitch last week while loading my trunk with stuff. I have a factory remote start and I want to see if anyone else can repeat the glitch I found. So I will list what I did and how I encountered this glitch:

1: Opened my trunk to load stuff.

2: While my trunk is opened, I tried to turn on my car with the remote start.

3: My G5 would not start and it sounded like it was trying to start as I heard some kind of noise come from the engine bay.

4: I close my trunk and get into my car.

5: I start my car normally WITHOUT remote start and find my check engine light is now on.

6: I drive my car around for the next couple of days with the check engine light.

7: I open my trunk again to load stuff and decide to try remote start just for the hell of it.

8: My G5 starts normally with the remote start.

9: I put my key into the ignition, and the check engine light is gone and it's like nothing ever happened.

If anyone has had this problem, or would like to see if they can repeat it, that would be great. This definitely gave me a scare considering the fact I only have like 35,000km on my G5 and the check engine light shouldn't come on so soon. I wanted to post this just in case someone else runs into the same problem as me.

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
I just tried. I had the trunk wide open, locked the car, and then it started with the factory remote start, no problem.

That is a strange issue. I recently had some trouble with my remote start, ended up being the hood sensor, since you can't start the car with the hood open, and the sensor was blown. I thought there might be the same thing with the trunk, but clearly not. Good luck in ID'ing the issue.

FWIW, I wouldn't drive around for any length of time with a CEL without either checking the code, or going to the dealer. Thats just me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i had the same hood sensor problem months ago. and for the CEL, i had onstar check everything with my car and they said everything was fine while i had the check engine light. also, thanks for trying man. really appreciate it.

·
Registered
499 Posts
It has nothing to do with your trunk being open. It's the check engine light. If you have a CEL the car will not start using remote start. My engine light was always on when i had my 5 and i had remote start. every once in a while i'd try the remote start and it would start the car, but the light would be off. My guess is when you try the remote start it runs a cycle checking for codes. anyways nothing to do with your trunk being open, it's ur CEL. go get the code checked. fix it and you won't have the problem anymore.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try booking my car into GM soon. but as of right now, there is no CEL on. I'm going to try and repeat the glitch and make a video of it if i can. i think theres something wrong electronically with my car since my dash sometimes fucks around.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts