G5 Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A result, sadly of poor (no actually) planning ad support. No one "in charge" of certain responsibilities to make it a great event. We all WANT to go, but events like this take a lot of time and effort to plan.. to be successful. We just don't decide to meet and we all show up. A couple of days prior to this and still, no agenda, place to meet or activities. If you were making this cross county trip, other than a motel,, where would you go??
This started out "in reverse." GM or other sponsors should have been contacted and a commitment from them acquired for dates THEY were available and THEN we pick a date. Not we pick a date and hope it suits them. That was just one of errors made.
The idea, and follow through, of contacting the motel for us and blocking off the rooms was a great idea and it worked. This is what we needed in all areas of planning our meet. Not every second had to be planned, but also not leaning against you car looking at each other, saying,, "what do we do now?" Key folks with expertise and experiance, should have jumped in or coordinated with our club's admin/mods and been given smaller areas of responsibility to plan and see their job done. Tasks spread out make it a lot easier for everyone, especially when all stay in touch and inform the other key folks of the progress.
It is not easy setting things up like this, especially "long distance."
I'm certainly not mad,, just a little disappointed. I really wanted to meet a lot (all actually) of you on here. Some on here, I consider good friends! It was really disappointing seeing this disipate,, member by member, especially our "key" or major contributors of our great club.
Hopefully we will ll see what happened here and next time (SOON!!!) we can all get together with each other. That's what it's all about!

GTO 1

·
Administrator
12,835 Posts
Hopefully we will have a better handle on things next year.

I'm sure the people who go this weekend will have a great time, and they'll find plenty of things to do. However, having some sort of an agenda would probably have attracted more people to attend.

·
Banned
3,377 Posts
It was a great idea. Unfortunately for me, I just can't justify the cost of driving or flying, the aircraft/ramp/takeoff/landing/navigation fees for that would be crazy at a place like that, even the cost of flying commercially would be high, and I would still have to find a car. But the whole point would be to bring my car anyway and I just can't justify that far.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Thats completely understandable. What they don't really think bout is that not everyone is fortunate enough to live so close to the meet. I also know myself if it had been much farther then I may not have been able to afford the cost of the trip with a mw job and tons of bills. Its a tough world!

·
I can build it.
5,443 Posts
yep i hear you chip(gto1), but this is the 1st time, so everyone will learn from this one and improve the next meet im sure. I really wish i could make it, but school is my main priority right now and that's where my money goes. I was really looking forward to meeting all of you, so maybe next time! Hope everyone has a great time at this meet and make sure to take insane amounts of pictures!

Tom

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
I know what you mean man... and I feel you on many different levels...

FOR ONE, I am disappointed that I cannot attend since I was looking forward to meeting ALL OF YOU who could show!!! Unfortunately, I don't know if many of you have been to meets before but this is typical of a meet/car club that 90 people say they will go & 30 will show for example...

Two: New border crossing laws royally fucked me over unfortunately... and because I didn't realize that my birth certificate was "not in good enough shape" I had to pay $27 for another one and have to wait a few weeks (not to mention that a passport is over $125 and an advanced drivers license is $75)... meaning NO passport & NO advanced drivers license so I can't go with my regular forms of identification... to add to the equation, I just bought my tickets for New Zealand recently, starting up Lightning Eagle Automotive & helping brother inlaw with a shop I'll be running & he'll be financing for him, a local spy shop (which is why I'm quitting my job)... even if I had the proper things, it would have been a tough one for me to attend but I think I still would have. The friendships would have been endless.

Now this does NOT mean the end what so ever.. we can still plan meet #2 and what not... like I said, its expected! More meets you have though, the greater the turnouts can be.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Im still one of the newer people on the forum. If another one is planned we do it a little more out west. Like St. Louis or something just to make travel easier for people out in California and Northwest Canada. Also if we want another meet we should start planning it now and start things out like how GTO stated.

Also what springer said we are in a global recession and to have a little money is hard to come by when a person should think of family first.

What Im really looking forward to is meeting all the people that will be coming, seeing some sweet looking cars and hanging out. Usually the first meet are like trial and to get the feel for planning.

Now in starting to plan another meet we should get a list of people who would like to come/be able to come. From that list pick a place that is kind of in the middle of everyone, that has racing/automotive things around. Also one day have a place like Cedar Point/Six Flags to go to, to just kick back and enjoy the day.

·
Premium Member
3,193 Posts
I hear what your saying Chip. I really wanted this meet to be fun for everyone. I think it will still be fun for those that attend, hopefully all or most of the current 24 people on the list.

I would also appreciate something more central :) even tho the main reason for Lordstown was the plant and now the plant is not even on the agenda.

There are those that had unexpected major problems come up that prevented them from coming. This is unfortunate but bound to happen to some.

I'm putting alot of faith in the other members to show up since I'm driving 2600 mi to get to lords to meet you guys. I hope I wasn't wrong....

But, I think Amber is right and we will have a good time and we'll take lots of pics for those that couldn't make it. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts