G5 Club banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was driving my wife's 2.2L back from the lake, about an hr drive back to the city. Once I got back into the city and stopped at a light I smelt something odd, like coolant burning or something else, kinda a bad smell but hard to explain. I switched to the coolant temp on the display and it was reading 99 degrees and it would climb one degree every few seconds or so, by the time I got it home which was a few blocks from that light it was at 104 degrees. That is a bit high isn't it? What should I be checking or could it just be a long drive on a hot day combination? I see the coolant is at the fill line by the looks of it.
Anything else?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
12,861 Posts
Mine is typically between 190F and 205F, which is 88C to 96C. It might be a bit high, but I wouldn't be alarmed. I would guess that it was because of the hot day, long drive combination.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same thing happened to me, sounds like your thermostat might be stuck open. and check your bottom radiator hose to see if it collapsed or if coolant is running through it...

·
Registered
203 Posts
If your temp gauge reads close to 120c then i would get worried,is your fan working,anything blocking the rad?check the simple stuff first.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Same thing happened to me, sounds like your thermostat might be stuck open. and check your bottom radiator hose to see if it collapsed or if coolant is running through it...
if the thermostat is stuck open your problem would be too low a temp, not too high. almost all stats that fail will fail in an open position. If your temp is too high check the following sources
1 lack of air flow. is your fan working? is your rad full of lint, bugs and road dust? make sure these are ok
2 is your system pressure to high. the only way this can happen is if your rad cap is not releasing pressure. easiest way to verify that is makr the height of your coolant overflow reservoir when it's cold, drive for a while til you are up to max temp and see if the level has risen some. if it hasn't might be time for a new rad cap
3 have you got enough coolant? lack of coolant will cause engine temp to soar pretty quick,, double check levels, and everything should be ok. (always buy straight coolant not hte premix stuff, you'll pay too much. Vital that you used distilled water when you do mix or else you won't gt 45 years of life out of the engine. if you plan to keep the car 2 or less, most of us are just fine with tap water)
4 possible leak in the head gasket. oh you poor bastard, this isn't gonna be cheap, but don't worry unlikely.

really most likely it was hot day, poor airflow from stop and go traffic and things just got hot. check a few of the things we suggested, and 'm sure all is gonna be all right.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
where can i check for the thermostat and see what it may be set at? or can i even check something like that on my own?

·
Registered
17,069 Posts
Mine will get bitchy under heavy traffic (especially during summer) - I've hit 105 before. Have you noticed that, if you continue driving smoothly afterwards (without stops) it drops back down?

From what everyone says, it should be okay.

I also have a side question: a transmission that needs service would make temps rise too, right?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yah I think everything is ok honestly. I mean my car the GT is running about 88-92 usually I'd say... her's is a littler higher in the mid 90's. I think it's ok. Car has roughly 63km's on it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
where can i check for the thermostat and see what it may be set at? or can i even check something like that on my own?
not something you can check. it is a component in your cooling system between the block and your upper rad hose. if you open that up,may as well replace it. not adjustable, not variable,, and most won't list the temp on the stat anyay, you just have to know when you pic up your replacement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 'base' 2005 Pursuit with the 2.2L engine, about 70,000KM. Coolant temp stays around 86 ~ 90C and sometimes floats up to 99 or 101C when in stop/go traffic or on really warm days (30C plus ambient air temp).

Flushed and filled with Dexcool and still had same issues. Fan is working b/c I can hear it cycling on whenever coolant gets over 100C range. The stat on this car is down below the exhaust header. So may just be lack of air movement causing temp to cycle up a little bit.

When you get driving at highway speed again, the temp should come down. If your temp is getting up to 110 to 120C area, probably is time to replace the stat and/or check for soft/collapsing rad hoses.

A thermostat is fairly inexpensive, it's easy enough to replace on these cars. Just swap it out for a new thermostat from NAPA. There isn't anything to adjust, so just swap it out and have the peace of mind that the stat is no longer an issue.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
that's normal.... that's what i'll tell you.

at a stop my car would get up to 105/106c...

If you sat there long enough for the fan to kick on, you'll see it drop into the 90's again.

then while driving, should be like anywhere between 85-91.

FYI, if thermostat fails your car will run colder than it should and throw a CEL.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
A thermostat can fail in either the open or closed position.
Truth.

Ive seen as high as 225* on mine before...thats cause i was beating the shit out of it and let it sit and drove again.

These cars get HOT. Tstat temp is 200* i believe

·
I can build it.
5,443 Posts
Nhanson is correct,the ecotec is known for a high operating temp Im around 198*F to 212*F and have seen the 220's but thats after a couple hard pulls and being supercharged and not to mention its like 103*F outside right now, But they will be cooler soon was I have my 2nd cooling fan wired (Im running the dual Lsj Fan)

·
So Delicious !
5,272 Posts
if the thermostat is stuck open your problem would be too low a temp, not too high. almost all stats that fail will fail in an open position.
2 is your system pressure to high. the only way this can happen is if your rad cap is not releasing pressure. (always buy straight coolant not hte premix stuff, you'll pay too much.
Not True. A lot of vehicles with a stuck open thermostat, will start to over heat.
The reason being that the coolant does not stay in the radiator long enough to cool it down, its always circulating.
Next I have never in my life heard of a rad cap that holds more pressure that what its rated at, even if has gone bad. The spring will weaken and will not hold 16psi if its bad, therefore lowering the boiling point of the coolant (and overheat) since there is no pressure in the cooling system.
Buying premixed coolant has its advantages, you don't have to mess with mixing it and is ready to pour in.

You can check a thermostat, by removing it and putting it in a pan of water and boil the water and watch to see if it is opening when the water gets hot.

not something you can check. it is a component in your cooling system between the block and your upper rad hose. if you open that up,may as well replace it. not adjustable, not variable,, and most won't list the temp on the stat anyay, you just have to know when you pic up your replacement.
Every thermostat I have ever sold has the temp in degree's stamped some where on it.

A thermostat can fail in either the open or closed position.
Very very true.

Tstat temp is 200* i believe
Close 195*

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Not True. A lot of vehicles with a stuck open thermostat, will start to over heat.
The reason being that the coolant does not stay in the radiator long enough to cool it down, its always circulating.
Next I have never in my life heard of a rad cap that holds more pressure that what its rated at, even if has gone bad. The spring will weaken and will not hold 16psi if its bad, therefore lowering the boiling point of the coolant (and overheat) since there is no pressure in the cooling system.
Buying premixed coolant has its advantages, you don't have to mess with mixing it and is ready to pour in.
i would say it depends on factors such as if your driving/sitting and ambient temp

sitting it will definitely get hot but traveling 50+ will probably keep it cool if not below operating temp

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought a 2006 in May of 2011 and it had a bent up radiator (I would assume from a small impact) it wasn’t leaking fluid so I didn’t replace it until this fall. In November 2011 I replaced the thermostat which I had discovered the old owners had drilled a hole in which I assumed was because it was stuck closed. Immediately after replacing the thermostat the engine started overheating it would run from 110-120 degrees Celsius, and some days get to the 125 mark when my warning light would come on and I would immediately pull over and shut the car off. We replaced the thermostat again and still the same problem. We did some more troubleshooting and decided to replace the thermostat a 3rd time with a dealer thermostat instead of the aftermarket type and still no change in behavior, it would get up to 120 degrees Celsius easily on my drive to work. We considered the head gasket but there were no symptoms of the head gasket being the issue (no leaking/loss of fluid, no discoloration in oil, and no issues with exhaust smell/color). After numerous days researching we determined it probably was the water pump, I had it replaced by a mechanic because I didn’t want to mess around with tearing apart the engine. After new radiatior, thermostat and water pump I am still running 100-120 Celsius in the dead cold Canadian winter. I know my fan is coming on at 106 and it’s on pretty much all the time so I don’t think my fan is an issue…any suggestions? I’m totally at the end of my rope with this car!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts